MRI Software, Software Development Manager
July 2013 - Present, Solon, OH, United States
Managed the development and testing for the Budgeting & Forecasting module of MRI Software's property management suite.
ScottCare, Engineering Manager
February 2011 - March 2013, Brrokpark, OH, United States
Managed the development and testing of heart monitoring devices and software for ScottCare (scottcare.com), a division of Scott Fetzer (a fully owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway). This position was eliminated due to corporate restructuring after the hire of a new GM.
- Managed the engineering (12) and testing (6) resources for three product families, which included more than 28 software applications and 10 hardware devices. Resources were a mix of onsite full-time and off-shore contract.
- Facilitated daily standups with the Product Owners, engineers, testers, and customer service. These provided teams with a daily touch-point to clarify requirements, escalate issues, request additional support, get beyond obstacles, and communicate status.
- Facilitated weekly Product Development meetings with the Product Owners and Engineering leads to define requirements and prioritize feature requests.
- Facilitated monthly Strategic Product Development meetings with department heads to plan the direction of product families.
- Facilitated weekly Change Control Board meetings with department heads to review and approve Engineering Change Controls.
- Participated in weekly Complaint Review Committee meetings with department heads to review outstanding customer complaints, trends, and to assist with technical solutions.
- Documented and maintained regulatory documentation, including 510Ks, Design History Files/Technical Files, and EU CE Mark. Assisted Director of Regulatory Affairs in interactions with regulatory bodies.
July 2009 - February 2011, Valley View, OH, United States
Participated in the startup of PreservationIT (preservationit.com), a company that provided automation solutions and IT consulting services for the rapidly evolving property management industry. The company was dissolved due to lack of participation by other partners.
- Designed and implemented the company's customer facing website and an internal site used for collaboration, business development, project tracking, and client management.
- Documented existing solutions that have been developed for presentation to prospective and existing clients.
- Secured an attorney and collaboratively prepared articles of incorporation with other business partners.
- Prepared Business Plan, strategic roadmap, marketing plan, financials, and project templates in preparation for the future growth of the business
Reunion.com/MyLife.com, Sr. Project Manager
November 2008 - January 2009, Santa Monica, CA, United States
Managed projects and releases for Reunion.com (reunion.com), a fast growing site providing social networking and people search services. Projects included strategic initiatives, site optimizations, and fixes for production defects. This position was unexpectedly terminated along with the rest of the PMO and about one quarter of the company due to restructuring of the organization. This provided the time and freedom to move back to hometown of Cleveland, OH in order to support aging parents.
- One of three Project Managers brought in to build a PMO from the ground up. Assessed Project Management Portfolio (PPM) solutions. Prepared the business case for the implementation and adoption of the new PPM and PMO processes. Wrote workflows, processes and procedures that reshaped project initiation (submission of business requirements, assessment, high-level estimation, prioritization), detailed analysis (design, functional requirements, detailed estimation, scheduling), execution (development, QA, release), and operational support.
- Managed two initiatives associated with a major site redesign and rebranding initiative (mylife.com) utilizing an agile methodology. Led design reviews, effort estimations by development and QA, daily standups, and provided weekly stakeholder status reports.
- ScrumMaster for the Site OPS team, delivering weekly releases containing site enhancements and fixes for production defects.
DirecTV, Project/Release Manager
July 2007 - November 2008, El Segundo, CA, United States
Managed projects and releases for DirecTV's (directv.com) web presence, which provided online sales of DIRECTV's direct broadcast satellite service to new customers, as well as account self-care for existing customers. Led a team of about 30 resources which included an Information Architect, Producers, Business Analysts, Project Managers, Developers, QA and Operations. Resigned from to pursue a more visible position with a smaller company
- Managed all of the release efforts for directv.com, including Enterprise, dotcom-only and maintenance releases.
- Acted as the lead contact for directv.com and interacted with peers from all other systems for project planning and tracking, release coordination, and issue resolution. Attended weekly Marketing initiative review and prioritization meetings in order to provide feedback on how new enterprise initiatives and changes in priorities would affect directv.com release schedules and to assess potential changes to Enterprise Release schedules with other release managers.
- Facilitated daily calls with the Producers, BAs, and leads from QA, Development, and OPS. These were essentially standups providing the team with development and QA status, clarification of requirements with support from the BAs and Producers, and a way to quickly coordinate the team as priorities changed or new initiatives filtered down from Marketing.
- Coordinated requirements gathering, IA, creative, mockups, pageflows, technical design, development, Quality Assurance, User Acceptance Testing, and deployment.
- Continuously evolved processes and methodologies to better accommodate rapidly changing business requirements, initiatives, and priorities. This included the software development, QA, operations, content management, business analysis, product management, and project management organizations.
- The site had a three-tiered architecture. The front-end was mainly developed in Java and Flash, used ATG for content management and ran on WebLogic and IIS with Oracle databases. Omniture/Hitbox was used for analytics.
Walt Disney Internet Group, Project Manager
August 2006 - January 2007, North Hollywood, CA, United States
Managed the creation of an online storefront (disneymixcentral.com) for the sale of digital media, including music albums, music videos, movies, and television episodes. Reported to the Director of International Product Development and had direct contact with the VPs over several of Walt Disney Internet Group's verticals. Managed a team of more than 60 resources from Marketing, Accounting, Legal, Design, Customer Service, QA, Development, and external vendors. This contract had a scheduled end date and completed successfully.
- Facilitated the definition and documentation of Functional Specifications, Use Cases, and Test Plans.
- Maintained project documentation, risks, issues, project team contact information, general status reports, and executive level status reports within Microsoft SharePoint.
- Worked with Legal on licensing issues, name trademarking, purchasing of domains, agreements with Content Providers, and privacy concerns.
- Defined and documented the reporting requirements for Accounting, Marketing, and Content Providers.
- Prior to the full-time production support team being assigned, produced the site for several demonstrations, presentations and the production launch, including Bob Eiger's address at CES 2007.
- Directed the documentation of the platform, processes, workflows, and training materials for the Customer Support and Site Production teams.
- Trained the Site Production team on merchandising the site, asset encoding and ingestion, preparation of advertisements, and on-going Content Provider relations.
Virgin Digital, Technical Project Manager
February 2005 - July 2006, Los Angeles, CA, United States
Managed the launch of Virgin Digital's (virgindigital.co.uk) international online music download and subscription services. Reported directly to the CTO and worked very closely with each member of the executive team. As the organization was very flat, assumed much of the management responsibilities for the functional groups under the CTO. Directed the daily activities of more than 30 development and Quality Assurance resources, and provided technical direction for Customer Service, Marketing and Business Development. The launch of the Virgin Digital service in the UK was a success. This position was terminated and Virgin Digital US was dissolved after funding was pulled for the launch of the Virgin Digital service in the US.
- Planned, implemented and maintained the launch of the Virgin Digital service in the UK market on September 2, 2005. This included taking existing software in a US public beta, localizing it for the UK market, and implementing several enhancements to both the software and backend systems, while continuously improving the software through testing and development cycles.
- Managed projects in preparation for the launch of the Virgin Digital service in the US market, including the enhancement and redesign of the client application and web site for a Virgin-branded portable media player.
- Provided monthly financial, sales, and marketing reports to executives and partners.
- Contributed to the preparation and negotiation of SLAs and contracts with music labels and the content provider.
- Established an enterprise PPM solution utilizing Microsoft Project Server and Microsoft SharePoint. Prioritized, assigned and tracked daily deliverables and defects using Best Practical's OpenSource RT: Request Tracker application. This allowed traceability between business requirements, software development and QA, as well as provided a funnel for production defects to reenter the software development cycle.
ALLTEL, Project Manager
April 1997 - October 2004, Twinsburg, OH, United States
ALLTEL (alltel.com) was a provider of local, long distance, wireless, Internet, and paging services. The Network & Desktop Services organization consisted of over 300 resources in 23 states, which provided application integration, software distribution, Directory Services, file serving, messaging, WiFi/LAN/WAN/Internet, and desktop support services. The position started as hands-on technical support, but quickly evolved into a project management role. This position had a corporate-wide scope and was on a peer-level with nine Regional Managers responsible for the support of the 20,000+ users in the company.
- Working with representatives from other technical groups, prepared cost and schedule estimates for new initiatives that were presented by business units. For approved initiatives, prepared Statement of Work documents, Business Partnership Agreement's, Service Level Agreements, and project documents.
- Carried a continuous workload of thirty projects, ten open initiatives, and ten software distributions. The largest project was managing the LAN, WAN and Internet subplans for the relocation of ALLTEL's primary Data Center (8/03-5/04).
Progressive Insurance, PC/Server/LAN Support
November 1996 - April 1997, Wilson Mills, OH, United States
Secondary PC/LAN support contact for the Progressive Insurance (progressive.com) corporate training facility, including 25 computerized training/conference rooms which housed ~500 workstations. Interfaced with internal and external training instructors to understand classroom needs and software requirements, managed the schedule for the training rooms, and reconfigured the PCs for each class. In addition, provided PC/LAN support and administration for ~100 full-time staff. This was a temporary assignment to assist the newly hired primary contact until she got up to speed.
American Computer, PC Build and Break/Fix
June 1996 - November 1996, Euclid, OH, United States
Built computers to customer specifications for home and business use. Performed new computer builds, upgrades, software installs, LAN configuration, cleaning, repair, and the installation of printers and peripherals. Left position for better opportunity with Progressive Insurance.