Agile Learning Labs, at Google, Nest Labs, Scrum Master
November 2016 - Present, Palo Alto, CA, United States of America
- Guiding the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers.
- Guiding the team on how to get the most of out self organization.
- Guiding the team on self organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Agile/Scrum frameworks.
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right people to remove the impediment.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving.
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example.
August 2013 - September 2016, San Francisco, CA, United States of America
• Facilitate and coach U.S. and offshore Scrum teams developing retail partner B2C photo web sites.
• Actively participate in cross-organization Scrum of Scrums and program management.
• Internally consult within organization to continuously improve and experiment with Agile and Lean methodologies.
Black Rock City, LLC, Manager, Information Services
October 2002 - December 2015, San Francisco, CA
• Manage 130+ person department providing information-related services: year-round, web application-based as well as event-specific, person-to-person assistance.
• Participate in cross-organizational planning and decision-making.
Black Rock City LLC / Burning Man, ScrumMaster
January 2010 - March 2012, San Francisco, CA, United States of America
• Lead and coach geographically dispersed teams’ application software development (on Linux, Apache MySQL, Python, Django / LAMP stack) using agile methodologies.
• Project managed on-time, on-budget initial implementation and annual updates of “Directory” web application offering interactive event-related information as well as user messaging for 44k user sessions over seven days.
• Managed on-time, on-budget implementation of web applications including Burning Man Events and Rideshare.
• Lead Burning Man API development and data set web site implementation.
• Managed open sourcing of internal applications, including legal research and Apache-based licensing, as well as setup and maintenance of code.burningman.com site for sharing software.