Agilex, Agile Program Manager / Agile Coach
November 2011 - Present, Chantilly, VA, United States
As an Agile Program manager and Agile coach, I provide guidance and support for Agilex Clients undergoing Agile Adoption in their organizations. My present client list includes the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare and the U.S. Postal Service. With the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare I serve in the role of Agile Enterprise Project Manager assisting the project teams and organization with implementation of the Scrum Framework, Agile development practices, and Agile Project and Portfolio Management. As part of the Agile Coaching engagement, I am working with leadership to build a robust Agile program that will sustain and grow Agile practices after the conclusion of the project. At the U.S. Postal service I provided training, mentoring and coaching to project teams and individuals working with those project teams. I participated and prepared content for an Agile Center of Excellence Program to build understanding of Agile Principles, strengthen system planning and development processes, and improve outcomes from system development activities.
Thoughtworks, Agile Project Manager
March 2011 - November 2011, Atlanta, GA, United States
As an Iteration Manager for a large, distributed Agile development team, I focused on the team’s ability to deliver on iteration commitments.
- Prevent interruptions of the team and escalate items that are blocking work
- Maintain the card wall, review and prioritize work, balance card work and team capacity, identify and resolve bottlenecks, Understand work dependencies and ensure effective iteration plans
- Know and understand the team’s velocity and capacity
- Onboard new team members
- Facilitate Agile meetings and ceremonies (Iteration Planning, Iteration Review, Retrospectives, Daily Stand Up, etc.)
- Work with Business Analysts to ensure quality Product Backlogs
- Coordinate deployments to test and Production environments
Carfax, Agile Project Manager
October 2009 - March 2011, Centreville, VA, United States
Serving multiple teams as a Scrum Master and Agile Coach, helping those teams increase productivity and quality and strive for high-performance. Worked from within the Project Services Team to help it transform into an Agile PMO focused on providing coaching and mentoring, facilitating project reporting, facilitating the management of product roadmaps and initiatives, maintaining centralized metrics, and providing a reasonable amount of consistency across teams.
- Developed Scrum Training, Team Exercises, and other content to improve team and project kick-offs
- Coached and trained teams to transform their processes to better support the business, reduce cycle time, and better address blocks and waste.
- Proposed and helped implement numerous improvements across business areas to increase the delivery of business value.
- Facilitated team events to provide coaching and training in Agile and Lean principles.
Idaho Department of Health & Welfare, Bureau Chief, Automation
February 2006 - October 2009, Boise, ID, United States
I planned, organized, and directed multiple agile development teams to deliver productivity enhancing automation and an integrated Welfare Eligibility and Case Management system using the Scrum framework. I coached, mentored and trained Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and 9 teams on Scrum, Agile, and Lean Thinking.
- Successfully managed a $30 Million dollar budget meeting forecasts and milestones over three State Fiscal years.
- Developed and implemented a custom document imaging solution, which delivered immediate timesaving and increases in worker productivity.
- Developed and implemented several browser-based applications that streamlined, standardized, and improved the accuracy and timeliness of eligibility determinations.
- Transferred and customized a large and complex Welfare Eligibility System from another State, significantly reducing development costs and time lines while delivering a robust and effective application.
- Initiated lean office processes and methodologies to streamline, standardize, and transform business practices across the Division, which delivered significant increases in staff productivity, quality, and performance.