An affable technology executive with a strong track record in managing cross-functional teams and effectively communicating concepts to business stakeholders at various levels. Uses a collaborative leadership style, personal judgment, diplomacy, and depth understanding of technology to help drive innovation and business value.
For the past 8 years has served as a Servant Leader championing lean and agile principles which are used to developed products to help position his current employer as a leader in payment processing in the U.S. and Canada.
Jamel holds a bachelor’s degree in Information Management & Technology from Syracuse University, as well as various certifications in project management, scrum and agile software methodologies. When not working he his volunteering as youth mentor through Phi Beta Sigma’s youth affiliate the Sigma Beta Club and serves as the president as local youth football league.
InComm Agent Solutions , Director of Agile Product Delivery
July 2012 - Present, Miami, FL, US
The Director of Agile Product Delivery champions, governs, scales, and measures the agile practice within our organization while providing servant leadership to Scrum Masters, Kanban Leads, Product Owners and UX//UI Designers. The primary focus of my position is the governance of our agile practice, product development and the metrics which govern them.
- Serve as an “Agile Coach” that develops and grows a team of “Agile Project Leaders” through training, mentoring, and coaching while also supplementing staff in that role as needed.
- Serve as the “Chief Product Owner”, collaborating with the executive leadership team on portfolio governance based on business value and prioritization.
- Cultivate a culture of passionate product ownership based a lean startup principles.
- Develop, implement, and promote the adoption of agile best practices across the organization and the greater South Florida agile community
- Monitors team performance through quantitative and qualitative measures of value, outcome, velocity, morale, and satisfaction.
- Facilitates organizational learning, change management, and process adoption of Agile via metrics, benefits realization, outcomes, and retrospective findings.
Qpay, Manager of Agile Product Delivery
October 2011 - July 2012, North Miami Beach, Florida, US
The Manager of Agile Project Delivery managed a team of scrum masters responsible for the use and adaptation of Agile Methodologies for delivering better software faster. I was able to leverage my knowledge of Agile methodologies of Scrum and Kanban, hands on experience as a Scrum Master in an agile environment and a highly technical background with a deep understanding of software development and release processes to as a basis for coaching, mentoring and leading my team.
- Coach scrum masters on practicing of core agile principals such as collaboration, servant leadership, transparency and delivering according to business value.
- Lead the adaptation of Qpay Scrum Framework to meet our unique business needs and team dynamics while adhering to best industry practices.
- Ensure our tool set (Rally, Sharepoint, etc) is used optimally and processes are defined.
- Ensure scrum masters follow consistent core processes and that sufficient documentation exists.
- Lead the development of metrics, in addition to standard velocity measures, that can be used to evaluate team productivity and effectiveness and used as part of inspect and adapt processes.
- When necessary serve as a scrum master.
- Finds cutting edge, fun and productive ways to increase the effectiveness of all main scrum meetings grooming, planning, review, retrospective.
- Escalate and find solutions for systemic impediments that impact multiple teams.
Qpay, Scrum Master/Product Owner
December 2008 - September 2011, North Miami Beach, Florida, US
Served as a Product Owner and Scrum Master on our initial scrum team during our initial scrum pilot.
As a Scrum Master I:
- Facilitated sprint planning, daily scrums, retrospectives, stakeholder meetings, and software demonstrations.
- Protected team from outside distractions, impediments or team conflicts, and maintain focus on product backlog and project timeline.
- Worked closely with product owner in backlog management and continuous delivery of features.
- Educated and reinforced the scrum methodology and agile framework to team members and key stakeholders.
As a Product Owner I:
- Provided Product Strategy and Roadmap Development.
- Guided the release of software from concept through product launch.
- Created vision to guide organization – both up and down – and retain focus on shipping the “right” product.
- Served as Key leader/decision-maker in cross-functional product and feature teams, both formal and informal, to ensure that proposed solutions meet customer needs.
- Developed and/or maintain a multi-year product roadmap based on customer requirements and industry trends Champion product internally and externally.
- Communicated strategy, capabilities and future directions to internal and external audiences such as the store teams, business partners and customers.