American Academy of Ophthalmology, PMO Manager
August 2010 - October 2016, San Francisco, California, United States
Dedicated 10-year career building the team, introducing and overseeing the adoption of Agile best practices, and enabling the on-time and within budget delivery of value-driven programs for the world’s largest association of eye physicians and surgeons, serving more than 32,000 members worldwide.
Promoted and given full responsibility for building the Agile Project Management Office (PMO), developing and implementing PMO processes through regular retrospectives at the project and portfolio level, expanding Agile capabilities across the organization, and collaborating with executives, product owners and teams ensuring alignment of portfolio of high-profile IT projects with organizational goals, customer requirements, and quality standards. Coached and mentored 3 SCRUM masters and cross-functional project teams of up to 20 internal resources and third-party contractors. Maintain project portfolio and master release schedules; collaborated with multiple product owners, on timelines, features and resources; select contractors and vendors; and maintain budgets within allocated funding. Report directly to the Vice President of IT.
• Established and evolved the Agile Project Management Office (PMO) as a strategic partner to the association recognized for delivering consistent value.
Trained, mentored, and developed 40 product owners into Certified SCRUM Product Owners.
Coached project managers and developers on Agile Methodology, and SCRUM Framework, tools, and best practices.
As a product owner drove the implementation and utilization of VersionOne Agile project management software that improved enterprise-wide transparency and visibility.
Led the deployment and adoption of Kanban Framework, Extreme Programming (XP) methods, and Jira software that provided more flexible planning options, to support teams’ output and focus, increased transparency throughout the development lifecycle, and improved quality of deliverables.
Collaborated with Director of IT to build interfaces across VersionOne and Jira software to strengthen visibility, optimize effectiveness of teams, and mitigate risks.
• Built and leading team of 4 SCRUM masters who enabled teams to the successful delivery of portfolio of 50 high-profile enterprise projects yearly with strong impact to members.
Responsible for enabling multiple concurrent on-site, vendor and hybrid teams to deliver a portfolio of 50 projects per year belonging to 40 product owners. Coordinated a cross divisional executive team to determine business value and maintain the portfolio backlog to maximize customer satisfaction through the delivery of valuable working software.
Acted as the servant leader for 3 teams to develop the Academy Store that features more than 350 products and enables in excess of 200,000 visits from users annually. Led the delivery of best-in-class eCommerce experience by implementing intuitive browsing, product reviews and suggestions, product sample printing, and easy and secure check-out functionality into site.
Enabled the build out of a mobile-optimized corporate website to meet the educational needs of member physicians and their office staff, and the general public. Guided the replacement of 6 web properties and enhancement of 50 web applications from ColdFusion to .NET technology.
Led the build out of the Abstract Submission System that enables the automatic acceptance, grading, and approval of 1,600 abstracts per year. System greatly reduced 12 weeks of manual processes, eliminated 4 weeks of IT support efforts, and increased transparency of submissions.
American Academy of Ophthalmology, Project Manager
November 2006 - August 2010, San Francisco, Ca, United States
Recruited as a team member of 2 project managers to drive the full lifecycle delivery of projects across a portfolio of new and existing applications. Managed efforts of up to 9 internal / contract resources and 4 vendors.
- Led high-profile projects teams in delivering over 50 projects yearly with a 100% success rate and a 95% on-time delivery rate.
- Introduced and led the adoption of Agile Methodology across development and project management organizations, and the SCRUM Framework that reduced time-to-market and costs.
- Replaced a third-party application with a state-of-the-art Meeting Registration System that reduced customer call time by 30%, slashed number of calls per hour by 13%, and increased velocity of online registrations by 40%.
- Assumed role as SCRUM Expert for SCRUM teams and product owners.
- Credited with managing the successful delivery of the 1st Agile project for the association, and subsequently a year-long, multimillion-dollar project.
- Held critical role in piloting Agile best practices for the development of web-based system for the International Global Alliance Group that reduced delivery timeframe by 50%.
- Led IT team in leveraging SCRUM Framework for the largest program in the history of association to replace main enterprise TIMMS association management software with Personify.