I am a highly successful Agile Project Management professional with over 10 years of experience guiding global organizations in defining and implementing processes, models, and standards that align technology investments with overall business goals.
Certified SCRUM Master ®, Certified SCRUM Product Owner ®, and Certified SCRUM Professional ® certified with strength in coaching and leading technical, project management, and leadership teams in adopting Agile / SCRUM, XP, Kanban, and ISO best practices that deliver strong business results.
Equally skilled in building synergy and collaboration among teams, I have a successful track record of delivering business value by leading large organizational transformations and leveraging Agile best practices to deliver critical projects on time and within budget.
MY AREAS OF EXPERTISE INCLUDE
- PMO Management
- Agile & Project Management Training
- Project Management
- Organizational Transformations
- Agile Best Practices
- Vendor Management
- Software Development
American Academy of Ophthalmology, PMO Manager
August 2010 - Present, San Francisco, Ca, United States
Reporting directly to the Vice President of IT, promoted and given full responsibility for building the Agile
Project Management Office (PMO), developing and implementing PMO processes and policies, expanding
Agile capabilities across the organization. Manage efforts of 3 project managers and cross-functional project
teams of up to 20 internal resources and third-party contractors.
- Established and evolved the Agile Project Management Office (PMO) as a strategic partner to the
- Trained, mentored, and developed 40 product owners into Certified SCRUM Product Owners.
- Led the deployment and adoption of Kanban Framework, Extreme Programming (XP) methods, and Jira
software that provided more flexible planning options, optimized teams’ output and focus, increased
transparency throughout the development lifecycle, and improved quality of deliverables.
- Built and led a team of 4 project managers in the successful delivery of a portfolio of 50 high-profile
enterprise projects yearly with a strong impact on members.
American Academy of Ophthalmology, Project Manager
November 2006 - August 2010, San Francisco, Ca, United States
Recruited as a team member of 2 project managers to drive the full lifecycle delivery of projects across a portfolio of new and existing applications. Managed efforts of up to 9 internal / contract resources and 4 vendors.
- Led high-profile projects teams in delivering over 50 projects yearly with a 100% success rate and a 95% on-time delivery rate.
- Introduced and led the adoption of Agile Methodology across development and project management organizations, and the SCRUM Framework that reduced time-to-market and costs.
- Replaced a third-party application with a state-of-the-art Meeting Registration System that reduced customer call time by 30%, slashed number of calls per hour by 13%, and increased velocity of online registrations by 40%.
- Assumed role as SCRUM Expert for SCRUM teams and product owners.
- Credited with managing the successful delivery of the 1st Agile project for the association, and subsequently a year-long, multimillion-dollar project.
- Held critical role in piloting Agile best practices for the development of web-based system for the International Global Alliance Group that reduced delivery timeframe by 50%.
- Led IT team in leveraging SCRUM Framework for the largest program in the history of association to replace main enterprise TIMMS association management software with Personify.
Articles I've written
Breaking Down the Agile Manifesto
Today Agile frameworks are being implemented by a wide variety of organizations. They often begin applying frameworks such as Scrum without fully integrating the principles behind the Agile Manifesto into their culture.
Big Picture Retrospectives
Sprint retrospectives are an amazing tool for teams. However, often there are areas that the team would like to see improved that are beyond its control.