CST Application Process Overview
Once your application is submitted, it goes into a queue to be prescreened by a Scrum Alliance staff specialist. The goal of the prescreen is to validate that the application meets all CST Prerequisites and is ready to move forward to Formal Review by the Trainer Approval Community (TAC). The prescreen can take a few days or up to two weeks, depending on the amount of applications in the queue.
- If you meet the minimum requirements, you will be notified that your application is moving forward to Formal Review by the TAC.
- If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will receive feedback from the Scrum Alliance staff specialist outlining the missing requirements and areas for growth. There is no waiting period for reapplication. You will be encouraged to re-work your application and resubmit when you are ready.
2. FORMAL REVIEW
Once you have passed prescreen, your application will be added to the queue for Formal Review by the TAC. The Formal Review will be completed by two members of the TAC. Each TAC member will conduct an independent review of your application and supporting documentation to determine whether you meet each of the CST Certification Standards. Once two reviewers pick up your application, they have a 30-day timebox to complete their review. During this time, you will not be permitted to submit any new materials. Please note: TAC members recuse themselves from applicants that they’ve co-trained with, mentored, or have engaged in a business relationship.
*A note on resubmission dates
- Application Approved: If both TAC reviewers agree that in their review and judgment, your application meets the Certification Standards, your application will be approved and you will be invited to a Formal Interview at the next Global Scrum Gathering.
- Application Denied: If both reviewers, in their review and judgment, decide that you do not yet meet the Certification Standards, the application will be denied. You will be informed of the decision and receive written feedback describing which Standards were not met and why the decision was made. This email will also include next steps and a resubmission date*. You will also be invited to participate in a feedback call with your reviewers to receive clarification and answers to any questions you may have.
- Tiebreaker: In the event that the two TAC reviewers have differing opinions in the final decision, a Scrum Alliance staff specialist will invite a third reviewer to complete a review of your materials and act as a tiebreaker vote. This may extend the 30-day timebox for your review and you will be notified.
: The standard wait time for an application resubmission is three to six months, but the review team makes this decision on a case-by-case basis. There are times when an applicant is invited to make changes and resubmit immediately, and other times when the review team will ask applicants to wait a year before they resubmitting their application. The resubmission date depends on the feedback and recommendation of the TAC. Please note that if you are asked to wait at least a year before resubmitting your application, you will need to pay the application fee.
3. FORMAL INTERVIEW
The Formal Interview is a face-to-face interview and training simulation. The TAC will assess whether you meet the definition of a national and international thought leader in Scrum and agile and are able to demonstrate your abilities as a world-class trainer.
- Interview Passed: If all of the members of the panel agree that you meet all of the Certification Standards and are qualified to be certified by the Scrum Alliance as a CST, you will be approved to be certified as a CST.
- Interview Denied: If the members of the panel determine that you do not meet all of the Certification Standards and/or are not yet qualified to be certified by Scrum Alliance as a CST, you will be denied, given feedback, and invited to re-interview* at another time.
*A note on re-interview dates: If you are denied during the Formal Interview, the TAC will invite you to re-interview at a different date. The TAC makes this decision on a case-by-case basis, based on your performance during the interview and training simulation. You may be invited to interview as soon as the next Global Scrum Gathering, or you may be invited to an interview date that is the following year.
4. CERTIFIED SCRUM TRAINER
And so begins the next chapter of your story as a CST! For more information on your next step, see What’s Next.