October 2016 - Present, Singapore, Singapore, SG
Senior Agile Coach at IBM, Global Business Services
IBM Global Business Services (GBS), a division of IBM, is the world's largest business and technology services provider. It employs over 190,000 people across more than 160 countries. Within GBS, the Agile Centre of Competence supports IBM and its’ clients globally, with focus on APAC. The COC supports various Agile engagements at different stages of the project lifecycle, from proposal to execution.
Responsibilities and Roles
• Sr. Agile Coach – as a coach I manage business transformation by engaging the client at various project stages, conducting activities with different stakeholders – C-Suite leaders, Senior and Middle Management and Working level teams. I conduct Agile maturity assessments (at all levels), prepare Agile project roadmaps, proposals and Agile blueprints. I conduct workshops providing Agile values, concepts and practices, with practical implementation during the workshop for the participants’ daily work. The outcomes of the workshops are roadmaps and blueprints which I follow through with coaching activities implementations together with the account. I measure various metrics to demonstrate progress return of ROI, efficiency, cost reduction and faster time to market. I also coach individuals and groups outside of my client engagements.
• Thought Leadership - I hold Agile introduction talks, write blog entries about practical Agile, and participate in the Agile community in Singapore. I designed a new Agile approach called the Lean Sprint, which leverages on the power of HCD/Design Thinking, Lean Startup and Lean@Scale. The program was implemented successfully with several accounts, where I managed the execution and tailored the programe to the client needs, validating end user’s problem, client’s market and sustainable scaling at limited costs and reduced waste.
• Competency in various Agile methodologies – Scrum, Kanban, XP, Lean Startup, Lean@Scale, Design Thinking, Human Centered Design (HCD), SAFe.
• Selected sample projects –
o Internal transformation of IBM division, over 60 people and 3 sub divisions, coaching on Agile practices for operations, maintenance, and managed software. Banking industry.
o Writing project proposals for Agile transformation and hybrid approach, various industries. Projects range between 2M to 10M.
o Coaching and training major bank with end to end Agility across the business and the development teams.
o Conducting a large transformation with IBM internal teams.
January 2015 - August 2016, Singapore, Singapore, SG
Digital Business Integration Manager at Accenture, Digital
• APAC PM digital growth – to answer market demand Accenture invests in growth and digital capabilities. My role as APAC PM for digital growth focuses on growing headcount at all levels, providing training opportunities for up-skilling Agile and digital capabilities, establishing agency like culture to promote creativity and establishing a presence in our markets. With aggressive growth targets, I am working with ASEAN, ANZ, Japan and Greater China local leadership, planning and monitoring budget. Part of the role includes organizing hackathons, community events, building internal assets for marketing and business development, participation in conferences, training portfolio and candidates interview and selection.
• Building a Digital Lab – I pioneer innovation and take the lead in building a Digital Lab to experiment with Agile delivery for our clients, rapid prototyping and experimentation with sandbox ready-made solutions what can be easily modified for our client’s needs. Redesign client engagements for better fitting our solution to client’s business problem by working closely with clients through workshops and ‘rumbles’ ideation sessions.
• Project management – managing several digital solution implementations in the telecommunication and Gov. sector. Delivering eCommerce and User Experience for RWD projects. Acting as Scrum Master and Lead.
• Culture cultivation – actively involved creating and promoting digital entrepreneurship culture within Accenture. I have established and leading Drones and Remote Control (RC) aviation club, with over 50 participants. Setting up workshops, build sessions, introduction events, knowledge sharing, outings and “fun-fly” around the theme of RC aviation. I manage the groups’ budget and schedule.
January 2013 - January 2015, Singapore, Singapore, SG
Director of Engineering at migme
• Team forming - after a major investment led to IPO, my company set goal to establish presence in Taiwan. My responsibility is building a team of 15 engineers from the grounds up, in addition to the Singapore team of 20. Finding key leaders and establish collaboration processes between the teams.
• Productivity- my key challenge was to raise engineering productivity. I have revised development cycle processes, introduced and refined agile methodologies, project management tools and made strategic hires. The team measured productivity sprung 3 times higher. Engineering team is at Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Taipei.
• Engineering management - I perform performance appraisals, set individual and team KPIs, rewards and achievements. I represent the engineering team in other departments meetings.
• Management – participating in executive level meetings, responsible for engineering performance. Presenting in front of BOD, investors, and C-level executives. Making key strategic decisions and go/no-go decisions.
• Communication- another key challenge was to improve communication and build trust among the engineering and the different departments. I have set open communication channels, meetings, show and tell sessions. I have made every engineer a proud product owner.
• Process revision – revising operational procedures (SOP) where engineering department interfaces marketing, operations, customer care, business development. Involved in vendor management and product management, rebuilt company’s quality assurance team.
• Technology management – with advisory of strong engineering team, building company’s technology foundation. Deciding on tools and services, servers and solutions. OAuth, payment gateways, gamification, big data and marketing, security and spam control are some of the team’s challenges. Platforms are web and mobile (iOS/android/j2me).