MNB Technical Services LLC, Program Manager/Scrum Master
January 2012 - Present, Arlington, VA, United States
MNB Technical Services LLC
Arlington, VA 22203
ON ASSIGNMENT TO UNITED STATES PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE
PROGRAM MANAGER/SCRUM MASTER
01/08/2012 - Present
Mr. Grinstead is the Program Manager and Scrum Master for the Patent Legacy IT Capabilities (PLIC) and Cross-Agency Systems Portfolios. The estimated annual dollar value of projects within the two portfolios exceeds $100 million dollars of Development/Modernization/Enhancement (DME) capital improvement funds (CIF). He Liaisons with C-level Executives, Office and Division Directors, Portfolio Managers, Business Unit (BU) representatives, Project Management Leads, Project Managers and Technical Leads to ensure IT needs are met within the two portfolios. The PLIC Portfolio is comprised of about 60 plus IT projects supporting the Patent examination process comprised of Patent Capture and Processing Systems – Initial Processing; Patent Capture and Processing Systems – Examination Support; Patent Search System – Primary Search and Retrieval; Patent Search System – Specialized Search and Retrieval. Enterprise Business Systems Portfolio is comprised of Cross-Agency Systems such as Roles Based Access Control (RBAC) and enterprise single sign-on for both internal and external users.
These systems/applications enhancements as well as process improvements made between 2012 and 2015 have contributed to the increase in patent revenue as well as reduce the amount of time it takes to review patent applications from 28 months down to 17 months.
Mr. Grinstead leads a professional workforce comprised of three senior contract program management support personnel, one risk manager, and between 15 contractor project managers to plan and execute the work.
• Prepares high-level and detailed program plans, portfolio/program roadmaps, establishes long and short-range program goals and objectives, monitors progress, reviews, approves/disapproves deliverables and SDLC Stage Gate Reviews, and oversees a wide range of assignments including portfolio and program development and operational planning and oversight.
• Responsible for the successful cost, schedule, and performance of programs.
• Serves as the Task Order Manager and performs as the main point of contact for the Contracting Officer (CO) and Contractors’ senior management.
• Develops Request for Information, Statements of Work and Statements of Objectives
• Directly contributes to program efforts in several areas, including cost management/avoidance, schedule estimation and tracking, contract performance management, risk management, requirements analysis, and quality assurance activities.
• Coach Agile Scrum and Kanban teams to improve productivity and quality through the implementation of Agile best practice and techniques.
• Mentor Scrum Master & teams in Agile Process, practices & ceremonies in alignment with the adoption of the SAFe framework.
• Work with Scrum Master & Product Owner to ensure effective grooming practices are in place
• Work with team to understand metrics and implement continuous improvement activities.
• Assist where necessary with Agile transformation efforts including Training Communities of Practice & Standardized tools and reporting.
• Training development, delivery and execution activities as assigned.
• Ensures proper performance of tasks necessary to ensure the most efficient and effective execution of contracts.
• Employs expert communication skills needed to direct the skilled technical resources and report on the technical progress, issues, and problem areas, as well as write and review technical documents.
• Plans and implements actions by program/project teams to define and implement technical solutions and meet quality requirements for project/program products and services. Serves as principal customer interface.
• Provides leadership and direction to personnel performing complex tasks to satisfy program deliverables.
• Develops and maintains the portfolio/program level Integrated Master Schedule and develops resource allocation plans.
• Determines ability to execute based on available and planned increases in staff to include acquiring contractor support to close short-term resource gaps.
• Performs Earned Value Management (EVM).
• Communicates openly with customers and critical partners throughout the project life cycle, ensuring customer satisfaction with the process, progress and results.
• Coordinates, communicates, and integrates project and program activities. Aligns IT programs to agency strategic goals through identified portfolios.
• Leads the planning, assessment and implementation of the USPTO's Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC) for Information Technology projects portfolios. Facilitates the creation and updates to business cases and program plans to meet the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and Department of Commerce (DOC) CPIC requirements.
• Ensures that Department of Commerce (DOC), Office of Management and Budget (OMB) reports are accurate. Coordinates risks, issues, accomplishments, funding, etc. Develops other external reporting reports to entities such as the General Accounting Office (GAO), White House, Congress, etc.
• Escalates issues and risks to executives and ensures that these issues and risks are mitigated in such a way that system development plans are not adversely affected.
• Maintains the inventory of funded work within their assigned Program(s).
• Tracks and reports program and related portfolio status.
• Conducts periodic reviews of projects within their assigned Programs.
• Identifies, develops, and applies portfolio, program and project management best practices.
• Ensures the effective use of Project Management Information Systems (PMIS) tool comprised of MS Project 2010 Server and SharePoint 2010 to manage portfolios, programs and projects execution.
• Coaches, trains and mentors portfolio, program and project team members.
• Forecasts budgets in accordance with the OCIO’s prescribed methods and established timelines. Ensures budget execution adheres to internal controls and that quarterly funding goals are achieved. Submits budget changes in accordance with financial guidelines.
• Facilitates program budget formulation and estimation workshops across two portfolios using both top down and bottoms up estimations.
• Meets financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing annual budgets; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
Leads in-depth reviews of projects ensuring schedules are up to date and SDLC artifacts are complete, accurate, and relevant and help to ensure EPMS remains the authoritative source for project(s) artifacts and status.
Creates/maintains/tracks list of action items from respective project reviews that need completing are complete, accurate and authoritative.
Verifies that project scope contained in the project charter maps to the project schedule.
Identifies missing and incomplete artifacts and works with respective Project Managers to complete and upload these artifacts to the EPMS Project SharePoint site.
Facilitates Portfolio Risks and Issues Reviews with program teams.
Reviews SDLC Waiver Agreements and ensures project adherence.
Verifies that Project Information contained in project schedules is up to date.
Performs Portfolio Financial Management.
Performs SDLC artifact reviews/QA audits and documents findings as action items.
Prepares and presents Executive/Senior Management Portfolio Dashboards and Presentations.
Performs Portfolio and Project Risk Management Reviews.
Attends weekly Enterprise Project and Deployment Readiness Assessment Meetings.
Updates and maintains Portfolio OMB Exhibits 53s and 300s.
Updates/Maintains Acquisition Tracker Spreadsheet used to identify and resolve acquisition-related issues.
MNB Technical Services LLC, Project Manager/Scrum Master
July 2010 - January 2012, Arlington, VA, United States
MNB Technical Services LLC
Arlington, VA 22203
ON ASSIGNMENT TO Office of Personnel Management
IT Project Manager/Scrum Master
07/19/2010 – 01/06/2012
Mr. Grinstead was responsible for the acquisition, design, development, testing and implementation, across the full Systems/Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), of the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Health Claims Data Warehouse Program.
In accordance with a mandate in Affordable Care Act, OPM has created the Health Claims Data Warehouse, a database of personal information generated from employees' healthcare claims adhering to the Scrum Methodology..
Records from the current Federal Employee Health Benefit Program (FEHBP) and National Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Program populate the database, which will help the agency track the costs of care delivered to enrollees. Data from a third program, the Multi-State Option Plan, will be added in 2014.
The Health Claims Data Warehouse is intended as a tool for analyzing health services data from [federal employee health benefit plans. The warehouse will allow OPM to better understand the health of federal employees, as well as the cost and quality of care they receive. The warehouse will give OPM the ability to manage the program so that employees and tax-payers get the best value."
• Adhered to Scrum methodology
• Empowered teams to self-organize and grow cross-functionality
• Organized and facilitated sprint planning, daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, release planning, demos and other Scrum-related meetings
• Protected team from over-commitment, manage backlog, prioritize resolution of defects/bugs
• Tracked and communicated team velocity and sprint/release progress
• Taught teams to create clear and concise epics/stories
Assisted teams with making appropriate commitments through story selection, sizing and task definition and participated proactively in developing and maintaining team standards, tools and best practices
Instructed and modeled core Agile principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability and visibility; ensured consistent application of scrum methodologies across the enterprise
• Communicated with other management, engineers, product managers and support specialists on product issues
• Served as Task Order Manager and performed as the main point of contact for the Contracting Officer (CO).
• Developed OPM's Health Claims Data Warehouse Program (HCDW) Acquisition Strategy and Plan.
• Developed OPM's Health Claims Data Warehouse Program Statement of Objectives.
• Supported agency in the development of the program's Request for Proposal.
• Developed HCDW Executive Steering Committee (ESC) Charter and facilitated ESC Monthly Meetings.
• Led the planning, assessment and implementation of the OPM's Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC) for the Health Claims Data Warehouse investment. Facilitated the creation and updates to business cases and program plans to meet the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and OPM CPIC requirements.
• Established and monitored compliance with SDLC program and project management standards, policies, procedures, and templates.
• Managed shared resources across task areas in order to efficiently achieve all project objectives on time and within budget.
• Monitored progress in fulfilling the technical requirements specified in their contracts.
• Ensured that all required documentation and data were submitted in accordance with the procurement deliverable schedule.
• Informed the contracting officer of contractor failure to fulfill contractual requirements.
• Collaborated with executive leadership to develop and deploy new project, program, and portfolio skills / capabilities, standards, methods and tools.
• Provided thought leadership to best practices in delivery leadership using experience leading large complex initiatives.
• Facilitated and led governance discussions with senior IT and business managers and executives.
• Established and maintained clear roles, responsibilities and deliverables for project team members.
• Monitored and understood team and individual capacity and contributions. Provided feedback to resource managers.
• Managed communication plan, including reporting and presentations, to keep stakeholders apprised on project status.
• Collaborated with clients and other stakeholders. Managed and consulted to ensure that delivery expectations were developed, managed, and met.
• Monitored and managed budget, scope, structure, schedules, and processes of the program.
• Planned, tracked, and reported labor requirements and hours, and identified the critical path to manage Earned Value for each task; track and manage funding and expenses; as well as problem tracking, reporting, and resolution.
• Ensured program team understood control measures in place.
• Monitored, controlled and managed overall program execution.
• Managed significant deviations, identified opportunities for increased effectiveness, and minimized risk.
• Ensured adherence to deliverables and quality measures.
• Drove programs and projects to completion.
• Proactively provided strong leadership and program management structure.