Royal Bank of Canada, Agile Practice Lead
April 2011 - Present, Toronto, Ontario, CA
Ongoing consulting, coaching, and training of several teams across the organization realizing noticeable benefits of Agile adoption including: improved collaboration, better business and team satisfaction, 4x reduction of planning phase, 25% faster time to market, and better quality.
Corporate Education and Training:
- Continuing to train and coach internal RBC staff from various disciplines on Agile practices including SCRUM, XP, Kanban, and Lean. Trained hundreds of RBC staff through 9 different multi-day courses covering scrum, RBC Agile Management Framework, Agile retrospectives, Agile requirements, and Agile engineering practices, etc.
- Driven the alignment of Agile practices and process changes with various groups including other process owners, stakeholders, practitioners, managers, and senior executives.
- Reviewed updates to RBC Agile Management Framework and managed the communication and timely publication of updated materials in conjunction with compliance, governance and regulatory requirements.
- Continuing to provide technical coaching as well as training dozens of Java and .Net developers through a set of multi-day Agile engineering courses covering eXtreme Programming (XP) including refactoring, test-driven development, simple design, CI, and continuous delivery.
Tools and Coaching (Practitioner, Sponsor, and Executive):
- Supported the piloting and roll out of enterprise wide Agile management tools including IBM RTC and Rally. Also, experience working with JIRA and GreenHopper.
- Applied Organizational Change Management Prosci ADKAR model in the Agile transformation of RBC culture among the leadership including senior executives as well as practitioners by utilizing interpersonal soft skills, sharing knowledge, becoming a trusted advisor as well as leveraging coaching, communication planning, process management, mentoring, and facilitation.
- Provided onboarding and mentoring for new Scrum Masters and Product Owners as well as team members. Key engagements included internal projects in Insurance, Capital Markets, and retail banking with typical project budgets in excess of $3 million.
Novator Systems, Software Development Manager
May 2008 - April 2011, Toronto, Ontario, CA
Oversaw the entire software development life-cycle across several multimillion e-commerce projects and worked closely with development leads, developers, QA, project managers, business analysts, and operation support teams using Scrum.
- Accelerated team productivity by identifying technology and process improvements leading a team of 12 staff members with some offshore in Vancouver and in India.
- Acted as the primary technical contact in discussions with internal stakeholders and external clients.
- Championed for a better code quality process within the team and mentored other team members on various testing strategies including unit testing with mocks (EasyMock, Jmock, and Mockito), integration testing, and performance testing using JMeter.
- Initiated, developed, and trained QA staff in adopting automated regression tests which reduced the time it took to verify search results from 2 days to less than 2 hours.
CPNI Inc, Technical Team Leader
July 2003 - May 2008, Toronto, Ontario, CA
Led a team of 10 developers in the development of a custom mobile payment system following eXtreme Programming (XP) and Scrum methodologies and utilized Java, JUnit, J2ME, Ant/Maven/buildr, JMS, Struts, VXML, Hibernate, Tomcat, Fitnesse, Stripes and Axis.
- Designed and developed various Interactive Voice Response (IVR) and mobile phone MIDLet applications for a global funds transfer system along with account management and bank back-office integration.
- Engaged in recruiting, hiring, training and supervision, mentoring, performance evaluations, and personnel planning of a growing development team.
- Led on-site consulting engagements with external clients including Barclays in UK and Bankinter in Spain.