agile42, Agile Coach
January 2017 - Present, Cape Town, Western Cape, ZA
I am currently an Agile coach at agile42. I am passionate about helping teams & organisations grow & succeed in their Agile journey. You can see more at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marietv/
Spry Agility, Agile Coach
January 2016 - December 2016, Johannesburg, Gauteng
• Apply the Agile Values & Principles at all times
• Be a servant-leader
• Have excellent facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills
• Apply my extensive experience of Agile in teams & organisations across projects
• Assist & influence teams & organisations to improve continuously
• Provide 1-2-1 Agile Coaching to team members, and across the organisation where necessary
• Raise impediments, risks and issues as early as possible
• Help remove impediments
• Be an information radiator, bring about visibility & transparency
• Trust the team to make the best decisions possible based on the information available & provide guidance where necessary
• Prioritise my work to maximise value
• Do that which brings about most value to the team
• Be committed to continuous improvement.
DStv Online, Process Manager / Agile Coach
July 2014 - January 2016, Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
• Line manager to all Scrum Masters in the organisation
• Manage the recruitment process of all Scrum Masters in the organisation
• Drive the organisation-wide agile transformation
• Design and deliver transformational agile training
• Coach development teams, product owners, scrum masters and managers on applying agile principles to their specific products and work environment
• Embrace servant leadership and demonstrate behaviours in line with agile principles
• Observe the different streams and make recommendations to teams and management for improvements.
• Establish yourself as a thought leader in the agile community through speaking and being active in the community
• Identify opportunities to continuously optimise and improve throughout the organisation
DStv Online, Scrum Master
July 2013 - June 2014, Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
• Organize and facilitate daily stand-up ceremonies, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, as well as any other meetings required by the team throughout the sprint.
• Keep track of team velocity and sprint/release progress (using burndowns and charts).
• Draw statistics on teams where required, in terms of bug count, lead and cycle times (Kanban), etc.
• Ensure the development teams are practicing the core agile principles of collaboration, prioritisation, self-organisation and visibility.
• Recommend and probe for improvements, and assist with changes within the team and process.
• Support the development managers and product owners as and when necessary.
• Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
• Assist the team with making appropriate commitments through story selection, and task definition.
• Identify and remove impediments, prevent distractions that interfere with the ability of the team to deliver the sprint goal.
• Facilitate discussion and conflict resolution.
• Empower the teams to self-organize.
• Assist in improving the productivity of the teams in any way possible.
• Ensure the team strives to make each increment of functionality potentially shippable.
• Drive introspective behaviours within the team, assisting them in identifying areas for improvement, and assist them in strengthening their development and testing practices.
• Coach and mentor the organisation in continuously renewing their understanding of Agile methodologies.
• Have a thorough understanding of agile software development methodologies, values, and procedures.
• Have a thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle.
Web Africa, Scrum Master
May 2011 - May 2013, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
I started my career at Web Africa, in October 2006.
It was only in April 2011 when I learnt about Scrum, and in May 2011 I attended the CSM course, and started with the journey to implement Scrum at Web Africa.
Since then, I have grown in this field, taking in a lot of knowledge surrounding Scrum, the different ways in which to approach certain situations, how to best facilitate in each team and adapt to different team dynamics.