Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach℠ (CEC)
Coach organizations toward Agile transformation
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coaches℠ (CECs) are experts in Scrum — in both theory and practice. They have in-depth understanding of the practices and principles of Scrum and real-world experience in actual Scrum organizations. CECs successfully guide organizations through the challenges of Scrum adoption.
CECs have deep experience in leadership coaching, organizational transformation, and Agile practices at the enterprise level. Those who obtain the CEC certification have had years of practice (successes and failures) in Scrum at multiple levels of engagement at the leadership level. A CEC candidate must demonstrate experiences as a hands-on organizational change agent working across multiple team and organizational boundaries.
As a CEC, you will help companies navigate the difficult process of becoming an Agile organization that uses the Scrum framework to transform the world of work. Sweeping organizational change doesn't happen overnight and requires commitment and a shift in perspective. CECs help leadership and team members remove the barriers and embrace the transformation.
Through the Certification Via Coaching program, CECs may recommend individuals whom they have provided 25 hours of face- to-face, one-on-one, or team-sized Scrum coaching for Certified ScrumMaster® and Certified Scrum Product Owner® certification. Individuals recommended for the CSM certification must pass the CSM exam. In order to recommend individuals for the CSPO certification, the participating CEC must hold the CSPO certification.
Requirements for Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach℠ certification
Below is a checklist that may prove useful in determining whether you are ready to become a CEC.
- I have held an active Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) designation for a minimum of 1 year.
- I have significant hands-on experience in at least one of the roles on a Scrum Team.
- I have coached in 3 or more organizations, departments, or programs.
- I have a minimum of 3 years and 2,000 hours of experience coaching at the enterprise/organizational level or a combination of enterprise and multi-team level coaching.
- I have a diversity of coaching experiences that I can demonstrate using different client engagement examples, and which include experience at the organizational level.
- I have formal and informal education about coaching and strong mentor relationships.
- I have a good working knowledge of Agile and Lean values, principles, and practices.
- I have helped individuals, teams, and leadership to understand and apply Agile and Lean values, principles, and practices effectively.
- I understand the dynamics, patterns, and development of multi-level teams and how they interact at the organizational level.
- I can clearly describe the difference between consulting and coaching and know when to apply each.
- I can provide two different client recommendations and one mentor recommendation to verify my coaching experience and skills.
- I have had active engagement in, contribution to, and leadership in, the Scrum community over a minimum of 3 years
- I have participated in at least 5 private or public Scrum- or Agile-related events and have contributed to some of these as an organizer, presenter, collaborator or facilitator.
- I have contributed to significant improvements in organizations or departments through coaching techniques.
- I have helped organizations and teams beyond the basics of Scrum theory and practice.
- I have enabled organizations to find their own solutions to business problems through the application of Agile principles.
- I am familiar with, promote and embody the mindset of Servant Leadership.
- I use a rich set of facilitation, training and coaching tools, and models.
The requirements listed here are intended to be an overview (and not a comprehensive list) to help applicants make an informed decision as to whether or not they are ready to apply. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the CEC program. Quality and aptitude will be reviewed in detail through the formal application process.
How do I apply?
- Review the CEC Requirements Checklist listed above. Any item that you cannot confidently check may indicate a gap to be filled before you proceed with the application process.
- Review the SAMPLE CEC Application and the CEC Application Instructions. Be sure to understand the depth and breadth of the information that is requested for this guide-level certification.
- If you feel you meet the qualifications and are ready to apply, start the application process by submitting the nonrefundable $250 application fee.
- You will receive access to your personal version of the online application within 2-3 business days after submitting your fee.
- If your application is accepted, you will be required to pay an annual $750 license fee and complete renewal requirements to maintain an active CEC certification.
When applying, be prepared to invest sufficient effort to provide a thorough and complete application. Highly invested, prepared, and proactive applicants will find the most success.
The process is divided into two parts, which are outlined in more detail on the SAMPLE CEC Application:
Part I: Requirements qualification
Part II: Peer assessment
Applicants will receive feedback on Part I before proceeding to Part II. If an applicant requires more development before proceeding to Part II, the application may be placed on hold with feedback from the CEC Application Review Committee on identified gaps and suggestions on how to address those gaps before continuing on to Part II of the application.
Learn more about the CEC certification
Do you have questions or suggestions regarding the Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach Program? Are you looking for help in applying to become a CEC? Use the CEC Google Group to discuss the program with existing CECs and other candidates. All are welcome to join the group.
If you are also considering the Certified Team Coach certification, please visit the FAQ page, which provides a comparison of the CTC/CEC certifications and will allow you to help applicants determine which coaching program is the ideal fit.
If you have additional questions, please contact email@example.com.
Already a CEC?
You may download your CEC certification logo
Please visit the Renew Certification and Membership webpage to learn more about the CST/CEC Renewal Program.