Barnes & Noble, Senior Project Manager
June 2010 - April 2012, New York, NY, United States
● Guided, suffered with, and mothered startup team that created a one-stop shop for authors
to self-publish ebooks on BN.com.
● Got team into regular estimating sessions and regular releases.
● Huddled with Product Manager about how to summarize, report, and explain product's KPIs
● Pushed love, Monday morning coffee, and standups.
● Launched a developer website to spread the word on NOOKcolor possibilities for Android coders.
● Helped Pubit Team pivot to modify the system from ingesting ebooks to apps.
Ramped up a new agile development team to do a wholesale refactoring of the entire bn.com website into
lightweight, liquid layout, SEO-savvy Java.
● Led with Agile - Release planning, Sprint planning. Whiteboard-tracking, and co-location.Guided the core group of 3 as it grew to 15 developers in three teams of 5, each with its own strengths.
● Kept Product Managers and Developers working together, hashing things out.
● Counseled Engineering Managers about the different rhythms of each team, where to assign features,
and how to to incentivize.
● Introduced planning poker (big hit), fruit-smelling pencils (not so big hit)