Kainos, Business change, Agile coaching
June 2014 - Present, Reading, Berkshire, GB
Kainos is a IT software development company. This engagement is the front end application implementation of the Common Agricultural Policy system for UK Gov DEFRA on behalf of the EU. Multi supplier, multi team, distributed etc, when you consider it is public sector - then you can imagine the mess.
I have been brought in from an Agile business process transformation perspective. Changing hearts and minds, people and process to move the delivery from agile governance at a build phase in a waterfall world to genuine continual delivery.
Changed roles, changed structures, work definition, team identity, incremental product management, downstream testing now integrated.
Getting harder to bring benefits as we move through the obvious areas into the more challenging.
Really rewarding role
Kuoni, Agile Coach
December 2012 - June 2014, Zurich, Zurich, CH
Large Scaled Agile programme nearshore distributed (but with individually collocated teams) bespoke replacement of legacy travel operational applications including contract based pricing, automated reservations, workflow and finance.
Was effective in improving agile awareness and Scrum governance. Ultimately unsuccessful in convincing the programme of the need to integrate the new application to legacy to enable them to put SOMETHING live. Programme leadership remained fixed on holding back deployment until the whole application was built, failing to change this midst ranks as my biggest professional failure to date.
• Responsible for all processes and practices that enabled the Agile adoption across the IT estate. Responsible for Agile governance and programme metrics and incentivisation. Facilitate the governance forums including grooming at both Portfolio and Story level.
• Organisational structure and role descriptions for the programme including Programme Mangement, Product management, Change Management functions in addition to cross functional delivery teams. Managing the evolution of agreed practices based on the increasing maturity of both teams and applications.
• Adapting the adoption process to compensate for a range of Agile experience, location and technical capabilities.
• Challenging business preconceptions to work towards an incremental business implementation strategy to feed directly into a planned release train. Work to reduce the size of the MVP and introduce a parallel Technical Debt workstream to target automated regression on legacy applications.
• Introduction of Scaled Agile models focusing on efficiencies at the Portfolio level, both SOA orientated and more traditional Feature team based, assessing the pros / cons of each.
July 2010 - November 2012, London, London, GB
I did a number of roles whilst at TCS but these two had significant Agile involvement
TCS for Aegis Media – Snr Agile Consultant - London / Mumbai Feb 2012 – July 2012
Distributed offshore Agile data management system supporting web based Media operations
• Agile Coaching. Scrum Governance and organisational structure and role definitions.
• Target Operating model, Vision, mission, objectives, deliverables, benefits and value proposition
• Benefits identification and realisation planning. business case validation, operational readiness assessments, organisational change / impact assessments, training and communications including marketing
TCS for Barclays – Snr Agile Consultant - London Jun 2011 – Feb 2012
Distributed offshore Agile Master Data Management programme
• Agile Coaching covering both SCRUM governance and supporting implementation of lean engineering practices
• Agile transformation process including processes, organisational structure and training
• Technical project management of tactical data migration initiative
EMC, Business Analyst
June 2009 - July 2010, London, London, GB
EMC (formerly Conchango) for Southern Water – Consultant - Kent Jun 2009 – Jul 2010
Agile prototype / concept project to centralise operational control, motivate staff and improve brand perception through a 3D XNA “computer game style” interface and communications hub. I was the BA on the project defining requirements
• Managed the transition between proof of concept and enterprise delivery
• Devised innovative working operational plant control practices; integrating telemetry and workforce management
• In depth study of staff motivation and empowerment and proposal to expand to the petrochemical industry
October 2007 - May 2008, Bakersfield, CA, US
Conchango for Chevron – Consultant - California Oct 2007 – May 2008
Agile SCRUM project to provide key oil production and safety metrics via a bespoke, user-friendly portal.
• Responsible for test strategy aligned with user and system requirements and agreed with all stakeholders
• Undertook analysis of the data to validate against the requirements and to investigate and resolve any discrepancies within testing