Renew your CSP® with SEUs
Ways to earn SEUs
There are several ways to earn the SEUs needed to renew your Certified Scrum Professional®
certifications (CSP-SM™, CSP-PO™, CSP®
determines discretionarily whether SEUs are warranted, considering factors such as content, quality, and accuracy of the source material.
Steps to Renew your CSP
The SEU® online renewal form
You can log and track your SEUs as you earn them by using the "Manage SEUs" link on your Scrum Alliance dashboard.
In order to renew your CSP-SM, CSP-PO, or CSP certification, you must submit a minimum of 40 SEUs. There are no category limits and you may list over 40 SEUs in any category. Only 40 SEUs will be counted for the current renewal period.
When you complete a Scrum Alliance Category B training course (CSM®
, or Continuing Education course
), and the instructor uploads the course to our system, your SEU entry will be created for that course on your profile. You will need to add the rating you give the course as well as your personal benefit from the course before you attach it to your renewal application.
You can enter 40 SEUs at the time you renew or you can also enter your SEUs as they are earned and then submit them at the time of renewal.
If you have not yet obtained all 40 SEUs by your expiration date, you will have up to 90 days past your CSP-SM, CSP-PO, or CSP expiration date to enter the SEUs and pay the certification fee before your certification officially expires.
You will select a sub-category when you make your SEU entry. The information provided below for each category is a preview of your choices.
Category A: Scrum Alliance Scrum Gatherings
can be earned at a rate of one credit per hour of participation in Scrum Alliance Global Gatherings
, Scrum Alliance Regional Gatherings
, Scrum Coaching Retreats
, and Scrum Alliance-Sponsored Events
, as well as in Scrum Alliance-endorsed User Group
events and activities.
- Presenting, coaching, and attending sessions all count as SEU-eligible activities.
- Additionally, because Scrum Alliance recognizes the value in impromptu ("hallway") discussions at Scrum Gatherings, SEUs are earned at the same rate for these. A maximum of eight SEUs may be earned per day.
- Please verify past Scrum Alliance-affiliated events on our website: http://www.scrumalliance.org/courses-events/events.
- Please verify Scrum Alliance-endorsed user groups at https://www.scrumalliance.org/membership/groups
When submitting SEUs, your options for Category A are:
- Attended a Scrum Alliance Global Scrum Gathering®
- Attended a Scrum Alliance Regional Scrum Gathering®
- Attended Scrum Alliance user group activity
- Attended Scrum Alliance-sponsored event
- Attended Scrum Coaching retreat
- Attended Scrum Alliance CSP retreat
- Attended Scrum Alliance pre- or post-event workshop
Category B: Scrum Alliance Courses or Coaching
in this category include working with Scrum Alliance CSTs, Coaches, and REPs. A full day of training is equal to a maximum of eight (8) SEUs. You can earn SEUs by:
- Achieving your CSM, CSPO, and/or CSD certification(s). We expect to see at least one of these certifications in Category B, and the certification must be current. CSM, CSPO, or CSD certification training is accepted, even when training is more than three years old. All other SEUs need to have been earned within the past three years.
- Attending training courses provided by a CST. Training by CSTs may include webinars, recorded training, and face-to-face courses (e.g. CAL I, A-CSM, A-CSPO, etc.).
- Attending training courses provided by a Scrum Alliance REP®. Please note that the course and trainer must be listed on the Scrum Alliance website. Validate via the Course Search page.
- Through one-on-one or small group coaching provided by a CEC. Members need not submit SEUs after each coaching session but may list them all at the time of submission.
Verify CSTs, Coaches, and REPs through the Member Directory on our website here
When submitting SEUs, your options for Category B are:
- Received CSM Training
- Received CSPO Training
- Received CSD Training
- Received Training from a CST (including video training)
- Received Training from a Scrum Alliance REP® (only approved courses and instructors)
- Received Coaching from a CEC or CTC
Category C: Outside Events
may be earned by participating in other relevant events not sponsored by Scrum Alliance, such as Agile conferences, regional interest group meetings, training from someone who is not a CST, or an REP course that is not approved for Category B. Activities in Category C are attended face-to-face, and you are receiving
rather than providing
services. SEUs are earned at a rate of one credit per hour of active participation.
When submitting SEUs, your options for Category C are:
- Received face-to-face training outside of Scrum Alliance
- Attended live Scrum/Agile events outside of Scrum Alliance
- Attended user group events outside of Scrum Alliance
- Received coaching or mentoring outside of Scrum Alliance
Category D: Volunteer Service
may be earned by providing non-compensated, professional Scrum services. Scrum Alliance is looking for ways that you give back to the community. You will be asked to affirm that you were not compensated for your volunteer work and that is was not for your employer. Please provide all information requested on the application form.
Category E: Independent Learning
may be earned through various independent learning activities, such as preparing (but not delivering) presentations; authoring relevant books, articles, or blogs; watching a training video; reading one or two books in depth and then fully describing their benefit to you as a Scrum practitioner. Please follow a 1:1 ratio for this category. One invested hour is equivalent to one SEU.
When submitting SEUs, your options for Category E are:
- Prepared a Scrum presentation (preparation time only, not delivering)
- Authored a book, article, or blog
- Watched a Scrum/Agile training video by an instructor other than a Scrum Alliance CST (List one per entry box)
- Read a Scrum/Agile book (List only one book per entry box. Multiple books in a single entry box will not be considered)
- Other independent learning (We invite instances of creative learning that do not fit into other categories)
Category F: Other Collaborative Learning
may be earned through a variety of other collaborative learning activities engaged with other Scrum practitioners. Scrum Alliance acknowledges that not all learning fits neatly into the categories above. Therefore, an example of an additional way to earn SEUs includes spending time as a co-trainer alongside a more experienced trainer, with the objective of learning. Another example is participating in a live webinar led by an instructor. Please follow a 1:1 ratio for this category. One invested hour is equivalent to one SEU. This category may not include submissions that belong in Categories B or C. For example, it is not for face-to-face training or events.
Please review options under Category C
before submitting SEUs.
When submitting SEUs, your options for Category F are:
- Co-trained with the objective of learning
- Received training via live webinar delivered by any trainer other than a CST
- Other collaborative learning, including "facilitated" open space or facilitated face-to-face learning. Add details that explain why this is a valuable collaborative learning activity for you.