Date: 30 September - 1 October, 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA, United States of America
Regular Price: $1,295
September 30 & October 1, 2013, Palo Alto, California with Luke Hohmann
Learn from industry experts Mitch Lacey & Luke Hohmann with a combined 25+ years of Agile experience.
This course will be taught in English
The Certified Scrum Product Owner Course is a two-day course which introduces the concepts of agile product management using the Scrum methodology. Why does this matter? The 2008 Standish Chaos study showed that 32% Succeeded of all IT projects had a cost overrun. Further, 24% Failed and 44% were challenged. It’s no wonder our customers are unhappy!
This course will provide you the tools, techniques and most importantly, the understanding needed to be an effective Scrum Product Owner.
Students will learn tried & true methods for building, managing and prioritizing the Product Backlog and ways to build a product roadmap for release planning. Successful participants will be listed as Certified Scrum Product Owners on the Scrum Alliance website.
You Will Learn
- Overview of Scrum - We will review the Scrum framework, expanding on all elements of the framework.
- The Product Backlog - The Product Backlog is the key to any successful Scrum team. We will explore what comprises a good Product Backlog, techniques for managing it and what happens when it goes unattended.
- Stocking the Product Backlog - What elements make a good Product Backlog? What do we do with our users, and how do we handle technical stories? We go deep with ways to build a great product backlog to ensure a successful project.
- Prioritizing the Product Backlog - Having a prioritized Product Backlog is key if the team is to ensure their project is not in the 52% of projects that fail objectives. We will look at steps that can be used to ensure a prioritized backlog.
- Product Owner Responsibilities & Traits - Who can be Product Owner? Is it the Product or Project manager? We will expand on what the role of the Product Owner is and elements of great Product Owners worldwide.
- Release Planning & Management - Knowing when things should be done is key. Knowing how to figure this out is essential to a successful project. We explore estimation units and the various levels of plannig used in agile projects.
The course format consists of multiple lecture topics, group exercises and group discussion. Ample time will be devoted to analysis of the “real-world” industry experiences of the course instructor based on case study examples and experiences managing Agile projects and coaching Scrum teams.
You Will Get
- A one-year membership to the Scrum Alliance, a $50 value
- A printed, color copy of the course materials
- Continental breakfast buffet, lunch, an afternoon snack and a variety of drinks
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) designation
You Will Earn Professional Development Units (PDUs)
PMPs: You can receive 15 PDUs for this course. To learn more on how to maintain your PMI PMP (or other) credential, please visit this link on PMI.org. Mitch Lacey & Associates is a PMI Registered Educational Provider, provider ID 3383.
You Will Be Able to Answer Questions Like These
- What are some good prioritization techniques for a Product Owner?
- What are effective ways to work with customers and stakeholders?
- What are the potential cost benefits of using Scrum?
- Who should be Product Owner?
- Is the Product Owner a Full Time Job?
- How do I build a vision for my project?
- What are user stories and why do I care?
- And more...
What People Are Saying
- "Though I knew much of the material, this reinforced the NEED to review and reflect with more knowledgeable people"
- "Enjoyed the examples from real life"
- "Best I've attended"
- "Really liked the exercises and found Scrum to be inspiring"
- "Really liked the pragmatic no BS presentation style. Greatly appreciated the messages and focus on the human factor side of Scrum"
- "Great course, very good teaching, will recommend to my peers"
- "This was a great course and I am super excited to implement"
- See more testimonials here
About your Instructor - Mitch Lacey, PMP, ACP
Mitch Lacey is an agile practitioner and trainer. Mitch has been managing projects for over fifteen years & is credited with many plan-driven & agile projects. He is the author of "The Scrum Field Guide", a book targeting teams adopting Agile and Scrum practices.
Mitch honed his agile skills at Microsoft Corporation, where he successfully released core enterprise services for Windows Live. Mitch's first agile team at Microsoft was coached by Ward Cunningham, Jim Newkirk & David Anderson.
While at Microsoft, he transitioned from Program Manager to Agile Coach, working hand-in-hand with groups throughout their transition to Agile practices. After Microsoft, Mitch was the Agile Practice Manager at Ascentium Corporation where he practiced agility on the projects he ran every day while coaching customers on agile practices and lessons on agile adoption worldwide.
As a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) and a registered Project Management Professional (PMP), Mitch shares his experience in project and client management through Certified ScrumMaster courses, agile coaching engagements, conference presentations, blogs & white papers.
He has authored “Adventures in Promiscuous Pairing” presented & published at the Agile 2006 conference, “Transitioning to Agile: Key Lessons Learned in the Field” presented and published at the Fall 2007 PMI Global Congress in Atlanta, Georgia and "The Impacts of Poor Estimating - & How to Fix It" presented & published at the winter 2007 SQE Agile development conference in Orlando, Florida.
He has presented at Agile Alliance Agile 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 conferences, the 2008 Better Software Conference and the 2008 and 2009 SQE Agile Development Practices conferences. He was the stage producer for the Organization and Culture stage for Agile 2009 and continued that trend by producing the Leadership and Organizations stage for Agile 2010 and 2011, and was the Agile2012 conference chair in Dallas Texas.
Though each CSPO course varies depending on the instructor, all Certified Scrum Product Owner® courses focus on Scrum from a product owner's perspective. Graduates will receive the CSPO designation. All CSPO courses are taught by Trainers approved by the Scrum Alliance.