Date: 5-6 December, 2013
Location: Irvine, CA, United States of America
Regular Price: $1295
A well-educated and knowledgable Product Owner is absolutely essential to deliver a successful product and to support your organization’s use of Scrum. Apart from some basic principles and the Product Backlog, the Scrum framework is silent on how the Product Owner satisfies users, management, and the Team - and delights the customer. During this two-day workshop facilitated by consultant and Certified Scrum Trainer Carlton Nettleton, participants will learn how to analyze stakeholders and define needs, learn the latest approach to building, prioritizing, and optimizing the Product Backlog, and learn the importance of engaging multiple stakeholders in creating a compelling vision that will maximize business value.
This interactive workshop is entirely focused on arming participants with the latest, well-tested tools, tricks and techniques needed by Product Owners. Using Carlton’s experience with helping clients grow powerful Product Owners and the experience of the other participants, you will learn what tools work and what tools do not work for the Product Owner.
The learning objectives for this course are:
- Discuss the key responsibilities and rights of the Product Owner.
- Explain the importance of the Product Backlog and how it is used in Scrum.
- Practice a new model for thinking about the Product Backlog, organizing the Product Backlog items and identifying non-functional requirements.
- Practice each step in constructing a Product Backlog from initiating a compelling vision, identifying user needs, writing Product Backlog items and developing a product roadmap.
- Explain how to create personas and how to use them to identify hidden requirements and ways to exceed the customer's expectations.
- Describe how to engage the Team members, users, customers and stakeholders in co-creating requirements and features.
- Identify the profile of behaviors and attitudes that enable someone to be a powerful Product Owner and the behaviors and attitudes that augment their impact.
- Practice applying multiple prioritization techniques to maximize business value.
- Rehearse writing user stories and acceptance criteria.
What you will receive from this course:
- A vivid, 55-page student workbook full of custom exercises, activities and course summaries that capture the essential points you need to learn and comprehend.
- A signed copy of Carlton’s book, Fourteen Observations of Good Scrum Practice.
- Fourteen new tools, techniques and thinking tools to engage your users, customers, stakeholders in new and interesting ways and maintain their interest.
- A reading list of great books to jump start your continuing education on topics such as the role of the Product Owner, use cases, user stories, facilitation, collaboration, communication, estimating and planning, Lean Thinking and other essential topics.
- Thought-provoking articles relating to understanding the user, product failures, product road mapping, identifying waste in your business, the importance of user stories, how to split user stories and how to build products that excite the customer.
- A forty-five minute, personalized question-and-answer session with a Scrum expert at the conclusion of the first day to answer your specific questions about Scrum and how to get started in your company.
- Two-year membership with the Scrum Alliance providing access to additional articles, case studies and templates authored by other Scrum practitioners like yourself along with discounts to Scrum events and conferences.
Though each CSPO course varies depending on the instructor, all Certified Scrum Product Owner® courses focus on Scrum from a product owner's perspective. Graduates will receive the CSPO designation. All CSPO courses are taught by Certified Scrum Trainers.