Date: 21-22 October, 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Regular Price: £995 + VAT
Whether you are new to Agile principles and have an idea of what Scrum is, or have already spent time involved with teams talking about or implementing Scrum, taking on the Scrum team’s Product Owner role can be a daunting prospect. The role of the Scrum Product Owner is crucial to the overall Scrum Team, acting as the liaison between the development team and the wider customer community. An effective Product Owner will work collaboratively with stakeholders to define the overall product vision and is responsible for communicating that vision to the team and motivating the team to deliver a high quality product. The Product Owner is responsible for creating and maintaining the Product Backlog and is a key contributor to the Sprint Planning and Review Meetings. The Product Owner can help maximise delivery capabilities, enhance the planning and scheduling process, improve project estimation and drive overall product success.
If you’ve not undertaken Scrum Training with a formally Certified Scrum Trainer then you may be missing key knowledge and skills that will enable you to make the most of the opportunities afforded by effective implementation of Scrum principles and practices.
This two-day, interactive course investigates the Scrum framework in detail from theory and foundations to practical application and pitfalls, covering all the team roles, activities, and artifacts but focuses specifically on the role played by the Product Owner. You will learn about activities such as managing stakeholders, vision definition, ROI management, Product Backlog definition and grooming, creating effective stories, defining acceptance criteria for stories and defining “done” with the rest of the Scrum Team.
What Will You Learn?
The two-day Certified Scrum Product Owner course will give you a sound understanding of Scrum principles and practices in order that you can:
- Participate actively as a Scrum Team member generally
- Function effectively as the Product Owner for the Scrum Team specifically
- Deliver a successful Scrum project
- Explain and sell Agile and the Scrum framework to other key stakeholders
- Collaborate effectively with key stakeholders and customers
- Create and maintain the Product Backlog
- Fulfil your essential role in Sprint Planning and Sprint Review meetings
- Participate in Daily Scrum Meetings and Sprint Retrospectives
- Understand and use the full range of Scrum Artifacts (Sprint Backlog, Burndown Charts etc.)
- Understand how to operate Scrum with fixed price contracts and third party supplier relationships
- Help your team or organisation to transition to a more Lean and Agile way of working using Scrum
- Understand how to combine the use of Scrum with other Lean and Agile approaches such as Kanban, eXtreme Programming and AgilePM
In order to receive your Scrum Product Owner Certification (CSPO), you will need to attend the 2 day course (your attendance will be registered each day). Following attendance on the course, your name will be registered with the Scrum Alliance. You will be then be sent an automated confirmation from the Scrum Alliance which confirms your certification. Two years' membership to the Scrum Alliance are is included in the course cost.
About your Trainer:
Your course instructor is David Hicks. As a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer, you can read about David in more detail here. David has been doing Agile consulting, training and coaching in a whole range of different contexts for nearly 20 years, using the full range of Agile approaches including Scrum, Kanban, Lean, XP, DSDM, Agile Project Management and the Open/Agile Unified Process. He became a Founder Member of the Agile Alliance in 2002 and is a regular speaker on the Agile conference circuit. David holds a wide range of Agile qualifications including the following:
- Certified Scrum Trainer
- Lean-Kanban University Certified Kanban Trainer
- Certified Lean IT Trainer
- Certified PMI Agile Certified Practitioner
- Certified APMG Agile Project Management Trainer
- Certified DSDM Agile Trainer
- Certified Agile Leadership Practitioner
Today, in addition to having trained in excess of 1,200 Certified ScrumMasters (both via public and in-house training courses), a large part of his role is to provide Agile consulting and coaching services to clients large and small across a range of industry segments. This means that the training he delivers is based on extensive experience of Agile in the real world.
Comments by attendees of David's previous courses:
- "Altogether, a very informative, educational and enjoyable course. Thanks!"
- "Very useful and enjoyable course backed up with Dave Hicks' extensive practical experience in Scrum"
- "Very enjoyable and informative"
- "I found the style refreshingly honest and devoid of "religious fervour" - as always, the practical war stories were the most informative and helpful part. Also appreciated the reference to other methods (DSDM etc) and parts of their thinking which may be useful"
- "Excellent trainer! Our interest in the course was maintained throughout the course. Practical views from the trainer. Excellent overall!"
- "Dave presented the course material in an extremely interesting and motivating manner"
- "I was happily surprised that the majority of the course covered a generic agile approach coupled with a substantial amount of dealing with change management, in addtion to core Scrum!"
- "Very enjoyable course and Dave was an excellent trainer"
- "Excellent course, really understood Scrum well and in the context of the overall Agile approaches and processes"
- "Extremely good presentation of ideas and concepts"
- "Excellent all round understanding of Scrum and the ScrumMaster role gained from attendance on this course"
- "A very well presented course, much of the content from which I will utilise with my company"
- "Very useful, met my objectives of how to personalise Scrum elements for my organisation"
- "Excellent course, a real eye opener. The trainer opened my eyes to a better way of doing things. Great real world examples"
- "Excllent course for me, spot on!"
- "Really enjoyed the course and have taken a lot from it, especially with regards to estimating, planning and the concept of velocity. I would highly recommend Dave as a trainer"
- "Enjoyable and practical. Suitable for wide range of audiences"
- "Trainer was brilliant - very knowledgeable and I learned lots from him"
- "I thought this course was outstanding. I had 2 years’ experience but learned a lot"
- "Course was great; lecture inspiring; charismatic"
- "Very thorough and advantaged hugely by trainer's hands-on experience"
- "The instructor's knowledge of real world scenarios and applying Scrum was excellent. I'd recommend him for further courses of study"
- "Very good course content; right balance between learning 'core' Scrum theory vs. comparison of Scrum with broader/other Agile methods and 'traditional' project/programme management"
- "Excellent course, which helped to provide knowledge of Scrum, but also specific challenges. Good pace, committed and enthusiastic trainer with ability to tailor/manage course as required"
- "David was an excellent course trainer, was very approachable and delivered the content in an easy to understand format. I would recommend this course to those who wish to embrace Agile and Scrum"
- "A well-presented course with a successful combination of presentations and interactive work"
- "Dave is an excellent trainer. I really appreciated covering scaling Agile to an enterprise level"
- "Dave's real life experiences helps to temper peurile versus pragmatic implementation"
Though each CSPO course varies depending on the instructor, all Certified Scrum Product Owner® courses focus on Scrum from a product owner's perspective. Graduates will receive the CSPO designation. All CSPO courses are taught by Trainers approved by the Scrum Alliance.