Date: 28 February - 1 March, 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Regular Price: £ 1,400 + VAT
This two day course—taught by author and popular Scrum and agile trainer Mike Cohn—teaches you how to use the Scrum product backlog as a tool for success and equip you with what you need to achieve success with Scrum.
You are in charge of building a system, creating a new product release, or any other complex business project. Traditionally, you would hand this undertaking over to a trained project manager to run for you. You would then wait and hope for the best, since over 50% of all projects fail and those that succeed deliver products in which 65% of the functionality is rarely or never used.
Scrum provides a way for you to directly and effectively manage the project yourself. Intuitive and lightweight, the Scrum process delivers completed increments of the product at rapid, regular intervals, usually no longer than monthly.
Your primary tool for managing the project is called a Product Backlog, a list of features you want in the system or release, prioritized by value, cost, and risk. You use the Product Backlog to cause the most valuable functionality to be built first, and remove risk early in the project. As you watch the product take shape, increment by increment, you can restructure the Product Backlog to incorporate your insights or respond to changes in business conditions. You can also identify and cancel unsuccessful projects early, often within the first several months. The Certified Scrum Product Owner course equips you with what you need to achieve success with Scrum.
Following successful completion of the course, each participant will be designated a Certified Scrum Product Owner. This certification includes a one-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, where additional member-only material and information are available.
You Will Learn
- Practical, project-proven practices
- How to write a usable product backlog
- Proven techniques for prioritizing the product backlog
- How to predict the delivery date of a project (or the features that will be complete by a given date) using velocity
- Tips for managing the key variables influencing project success
- How to successfully scale the product role on large, multi-continent projects with team sizes in the hundreds
- Tips and tricks from the instructor's fifteen years of using Scrum in a wide variety of environments
What You Get
- High quality training from an industry expert
- Recognition by the Scrum Alliance as a Certified Scrum Product Owner®
- A hot lunch buffet and afternoon biscuits
- A one-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, a $50 value
- A USB drive containing a PDF of the course materials, relevant articles by Mike Cohn and others, sample chapters from Mike's books, and other information
- A printed and bound copy of the course materials
- Planning Poker® cards for use in estimating with your team
About the Instructor
Mike Cohn is the author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development, Agile Estimating and Planning, and Succeeding with Agile. Mike has fifteen years of experience with Scrum and over 25 years of experience in the software industry. He has previously been a technology executive in companies of various sizes, from startup to Fortune 40. A frequent magazine contributor and conference speaker, Mike is a founding member of both the Agile Alliance and the Scrum Alliance.
Professional Development Units (PDUs)
PMPs: You can receive 15 PDUs for this course.
Though each CSPO course varies depending on the instructor, all Certified Scrum Product Owner® courses focus on Scrum from a product owner's perspective. Graduates will receive the CSPO designation. All CSPO courses are taught by Trainers approved by the Scrum Alliance.