Date: 14 August, 2014
Location: Charleston, SC, United States of America
Regular Price: $400 per person
Our approach to this course is unique, in at least two ways: our approach to Scrum and the Agile Release Planning workshop as a 3rd day.
We want you to have significantly better results from Scrum, in terms of more fun, more velocity (productivity), and more business value. We use many ideas to help you make this significant paradigm shift. We use interaction, Q&A, exercises, improv, table discussions and other techniques to get you involved and to help you experience what it is like to be on a good Scrum team.
Joe Little will lead this course. Joe is an experienced Agile Coach and Scrum Trainer. He has co-taught 8 times with Jeff Sutherland. And he has worked with other great Scrum trainers. He is a CST and has an MBA. (The MBA is fairly unique among trainers.)
Following the 2-day course, we have a 1-day Agile Release Planning workshop, which we strongly encourage you to take. This covers Agile Release Planning, Release Plan Refactoring (aka Product Backlog grooming or Product Backlog Refinement), and the shift from initial planning into starting the first sprint. These topics are covered in the course, briefly. The big difference is that we divide you into teams and you practice Agile Release Planning with real work. (Note: The ARP workshop is not included in the price quoted here.)
Participants Will Learn:
- To plan, initiate and lead a Scrum project
- To establish a shared vision for the entire team
- To generate an agile release plan utilizing user stories and story point estimation
- To lead your Scrum team through planning, review, and retrospective sessions
- To create an environment in which self-managing teams can flourish
- To identify and remove impediments
- To identify, engage and involve business stakeholders in your project
- How to take most existing teams to the next level
- Practical suggestions purchased expensively from the school of hard knocks
In this course, we typically mix in XP and Lean ideas. Having worked with Jeff Sutherland, I mix in many of his ideas and stories. Having a business background and an MBA, I have oriented more than others toward the Product Owners and business issues. We want you to have a full business success, not a mere technical success.
You will get useful knowledge about how and why Scrum works.
Again, we strongly urge you to also register for the Agile Release Planning Workshop that immediately follows. The workshop enables you to be ready to go when you return to the office on Monday.
- The course will run from 9am-5:15pm each day. You will need to arrive by 8:30am on the first day.
- A continental breakfast, breaks and lunch will be provided.
- Following successful completion of the course and passing of the CSM Test, a participant becomes enrolled as a Certified ScrumMaster.
- The CSM Test is online, a day or so after the course, and takes about 1 hour.
- All participants will also receive a two-year membership to Scrum Alliance, where additional ScrumMaster-only material and information are available.
Participants will receive a ‘book’, which is a hardcopy of the slide deck. (We have many discussions and exercises outside the slide deck.)
In addition, participants should obtain (at their own expense) Agile Project Management with Scrum, by Ken Schwaber. You may also wish to obtain the ‘first’ Scrum book, Agile Software Development with Scrum by Schwaber and Beedle.
Of course, there will be updated material and training exercises in the course which you cannot get from books. The entire syllabus will be made available upon registering for the course so you can look it over.