Date: 9-13 September, 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA, United States of America
Regular Price: $3,600
The Agile Coach Bootcamp combines the new Agile Facilitator class with the 3-day version of Coaching Agile Teams, taking place over 5 days and evenings in a retreat setting. There will be 3 Bootcamp leaders to guide you on a comprehensive experience, resulting in class certifications in Agile Facilitation & Coaching by International Consortium for Agile (ICAgile) and 40 SEUs by the Scrum Alliance. The primary class components of the Bootcamp are:
The Agile Facilitator: Catalyzing Collaboration, Delivering Results
Coaching Agile Teams: The Mindset and Skills of Great Agile Coaching
The two classes are woven together into a single, intensive and immersive experience that will catapult your agile coaching skills and results to new levels. You will leave a different person!
YOU MUST ATTEND ALL 5 DAYS to get the full benefit from both classes, including evening practices and a celebratory social event.
What's included in the course price:
- All Meals - (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- The two courses
- Lodging (double occupancy for 5 nights)
We suggest you fully immerse in the retreat vibe and the ease of being "there" and being focused by commiting to Lodging at the retreat center. It is included in your registration on a double occupancy basis (note: you will have to pay for your room if you want single occupancy and there are a limited number).
About the Retreat Center
EarthRise is a beautiful, semi-rural retreat center. While we feel you will be pleased with the accommodations, we want to make sure that you know this is a rustic retreat center - not a spa. A place to think and breathe in nature, eat nutritious and very yummy food (we've eaten there), and a chance to get to know your fellow students by sharing two to a room and four to a bathroom.
EarthRise at IONS is a conscious living center that provides a gathering place to explore ancient wisdom traditions, supports experiential learning, and engages in modern scientific inquiry. Connection with the land is fostered through hiking trails on our 194 acres of rolling hills, a beautiful natural oak glade used for outdoor meeting space and group ceremony, as well as through a sweat lodge, and a fire circle. A beautiful meditative labyrinth made of river stones lies high on the hill overlooking the valley below.
The Agile Facilitator is a class for experienced Agilists who wish to dramatically increase their facilitation skills in general, especially as applied to Agile ceremonies, collaborative events and other team “moments of truth.” The workshop will focus on professional facilitation skills and techniques as applied specifically within the Agile context. This 2.5-day course is accredited by the International Consortium for Agile within their Agile Facilitation and Coaching track. People completing the full course earn the “Agile Facilitation” class certification.
Outcomes from The Agile Facilitator portion of the Bootcamp
While mastering facilitation skills in the Agile context will require both time and practice, our class will allow you to:
- Gain an in-depth and practical understanding of a wide array of techniques practiced by professional facilitators.
- Understand and practice the art of collaborative meeting design, including the importance of smart preparation that will reduce overall cost and increase the effectiveness of your meetings.
- Practice techniques for skillfully facilitating core Agile meetings and ceremonies with playfulness and a collaborative spirit, while still focused on key deliverables.
- Gain rich, well-delivered feedback on your growing facilitation skills.
- Give you ideas for designing meetings in which the team interacts with the team so they can do the heavy-lifting.
- Understand how to address some of the dysfunctional behaviors you see preventing your team from achieving maximum success.
- Learn how to define, discuss, and ACHIEVE consensus with the team for faster and better decision making.
- Come away with your own facilitator self-development plan.
- Levels of Agile Coaching. How the Agile Team Facilitator fits into a development path for agile coaching.
- The Facilitator Stance. A powerful way to “do” and “be” that let’s you serve the team without being their servant.
- Designing meetings. Learn how to design agile team meetings that are both full of interaction and discovery, and are able to achieve their purpose in record time.
- Aiding Decision-Making. Stop the recycling issues and half-made decisions that plague teams by helping the team reach consensus that sticks.
- Facilitation vs. Telling Them What to Do. We’ll help you see how to walk this tightrope with tips and tricks, and also with insights you begin to see about yourself.
- Facilitating at the Start. “Well begun is half way done,” as Mary Poppins says. Learn how to facilitate team chartering sessions and get them kicked off the right way.
- Facilitating the Agile Practices Throughout. Learn how to design, facilitate and follow-up (without nagging). We’ll go through each agile meeting step-by-step: sprint planning, sprint review, retrospectives, standup, release planning.
- The Tricky Parts. Learn to address difficult attitudes, dysfunctional behaviors and unproductive actions that keep meetings from achieving their outcomes. And yes...this includes YOUR attitudes, behaviors and actions.
- Facilitation Practice. We won’t just talk about it. You’ll do it. And, you will receive clear and useful feedback so that you can improve fast!
Coaching Agile Teams is a three day class for experienced Agilists who wish to dramatically increase their overall agile coaching skills, including in the areas of Teaching, Mentoring, Facilitation, and Professional Coaching. Further, the class covers basics of team dynamics, team startup/reset, the individual change cycle, helping people through agile role transitions,and working with team conflict. The course is highly interactive and experiential: we have never had anyone complain of being bored! The 3-day course is accredited by the International Consortium for Agile within their Agile Facilitation and Coaching track. People completing the full course earn the “Agile Coaching” class certification.
Outcomes of the Coaching Agile Teams portion of Bootcamp
While mastering agile coaching skills will require both time and practice, our class will allow you to:
- Understand and utilize the four key Skill Areas and four Knowledge Areas applied by the best agile coaches (ACI’s Agile Coaching Competency Framework).
- Practice techniques for deep listening and asking essential, powerful questions.
- Practice the distinction between coaching and mentoring and know when to apply each most successfully.
- Observe a live, professional coaching demo on a situation in the agile context.
- Understand how to address some of the dysfunctional approaches to conflict team’s sometimes develop.
- Understand a model for human change and a method for working with such change.
- You’ll walk away from the course with your personal coaching improvement backlog – a tangible plan you can use to thoughtfully improve your coaching when you’re back on the job.
You’ll have many new things to try with your teams and you will probably depart with a few provocative ideas to chew on (in fact, maybe wrangle with for a while). All of these outcomes add up to your ability to become the excellent agile coach your teams need.
Coaching Agile Teams is a training experience that covers both the being and the doing of agile coaching. There’s a lot to learn, experience and practice! At the end of the course, you will be capable of applying many new tools and techniques, as well as your own mindset changes, to coach agile teams to high performance. As practical as it is provocative, the Coaching Agile Teams course challenges agile coaches to rise to the fullest expression of their role. Topics include:
- What is Agile Coaching? :: Why is it Important?
- The Being and the Doing of Agile Coaching
- Skills for Coaching Teams, Team Members, Product Owners, Managers, Stakeholders
- Advanced facilitation techniques for team startups
- Basic professional coaching skills and their use
- Key role transitions for project managers, testers, tech leads and managers
- How people change and what it means for agile role transitions
- Coaching Styles and When to Use Them
- Setting the Environment for High Performance Teams
- Team dynamics & health
- Detecting and Solving Problems
- Starting up Great Teams :: Repairing Existing Teams
- Working with Conflict Rather than Mediating or "Fixing" It
- Agile Coach Failure, Recovery and Success Modes
- Agiile Coaches as Professionals
Continuing Education Units: Continuing education units can be obtained for ICAgile (Completion of the Facilitation and Coaching Track), Scrum Alliance (40 SEUs), and Project Management Institute (40 PDUs).