Date: 3 December, 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Regular Price: £700 + VAT
Agile Estimating and Planning
Planning is important for all projects, even agile ones. Unfortunately, we've all seen so many worthless plans that we'd like to throw planning out altogether. But let's not give up yet. It is possible to create a project plan that looks forward six to nine months yet is accurate and useful. This one-day course will give you insight as to some common reasons traditional planning methodologies fail and introduce you to some practices that really do work.
Too many teams view planning as something to be avoided and too many organizations view plans as something to hold against their development teams. In this workshop, you will learn how to break that cycle by acquiring new skills that will help you to create reliable plans for improved decision-making. You will leave with a solid understanding of and experience in agile release planning and iteration planning. We will learn various approaches to estimating, including unit-less points and ideal time. You'll discover four techniques for deriving estimates, including the popular Planning Poker technique. Together, we'll explore planning techniques that dramatically increase a project's chances of on-time completion.
Particpants Will Learn:
- The importance of estimating size and deriving duration
- The differences between story points and ideal time
- The advantages of an abstract measure of size
- Techniques for estimating
- When and how to re-estimate
- How and when to perform release and iteration planning
- Tips for communicating about estimates and plans
Participants will receive printed and bound materials at the start of class.
Combine This Class with Other Training
This class will be preceded by a Certified ScrumMaster class and an Effective User Stories class in the same location. You can attend these classes separately or together.
What You Get
- High quality training from an industry expert
- A hot lunch buffet and afternoon biscuits
- A printed and bound copy of the course materials
- Planning Poker® cards for use in estimating with your team
Professional Development Units (PDUs)
PMPs: You can receive 8 PDUs for this course.
Don’t see a date and location you like? Want to train a team or department without the hassle of travel? This agile course is available for onsite delivery. Contact Mike Cohn at (720) 890-6110 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Download a PDF brochure with additional information.