Date: 24-25 May, 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Regular Price: £850 + VAT
What Is This Course
This hands-on workshop provides an in-depth understanding of user stories within an Agile context through both knowledge sharing and practical exercises. We will explore the lifecycle of a story, from how it is created to how we know it is ‘done’. It is aimed at those with or without prior knowledge and/or experience of Agile.
- You will leave the session with the tools you need to create, groom and manage excellent, appropriate user stories and use them effectively.
This workshop is highly interactive and we actively encourage participants to bring along ‘troubled’ stories they might have, so that they can be discussed and improved.
What Will You Learn
The 2 day User Story Workshop will give you an in-depth understanding of User Stories in order that you can:
- Fully understand how User Stories are created or ‘harvested’
- Understand roles and their relevance to User Stories
- Create appropriately sized, quality User Stories
- Deal effectively with dependencies between Stories
- Understand how you can create User Stories for bugs, technical issues and non-functional requirements
- Understand and use at least two methods for estimating Stories
- Identify common issues with User Stories and deal with them appropriately
What Will You Receive
- Refreshments throughout the course, including drinks and lunch
- Course materials handbook
- Access to electronic copies of course materials and other reference documentation
- Agil8 Planning Poker® cards for use in team estimating
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
- 14 Scrum Education Units (SEUs) can be claimed for this course and used as part of your Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Professional application. See the CSP application process on the Scrum Alliance website for more details
About your Trainer
Your course instructor is David Putman.
With a longstanding interest in quality management and process improvement, in 2001 David Putman trained with one of the godfathers of Agile, Bob Martin, in Chicago, followed by six months working alongside ObjectMentor coaches on his first Agile transition.
Since then he has transformed, coached and managed teams and organisations in the UK, Europe, South Africa and India. David has always been one of the foremost proponents of the need to improve quality in software development and is a popular speaker at local and international events.
A Certified Scrum Master (CSM) and Certified SAFe Program Consultant (SPC), David has many years experience of scaling practices that were originally intended for small teams to make them work at the enterprise level.
Having been associated with several award winning teams and shortlisted as Agile Coach of the year in 2011, David was awarded the Special Recognition award at the October 2012 Agile Awards ceremony in London for his services to the industry.
Comments by attendees of David's previous courses
- "Best / most relevant course attended this year!" (Scrum / Kanban)
- "Excellent practical examples and very useful course content" (Agile Analysis and Story Writing)
- "This is my third training with agil8 within a year. I am absolutely impressed with the overall quality and I am booking my 4th training in a few months time." (Agile Analysis and Story Writing)
- "Brilliant course! From having no understanding of user stories / story writing, this course is ideal - highly recommended! (Agile Analysis and Story Writing)
- "Good course which I would recommend to those looking to understand and improve their user writing skills" (Agile Analysis and Story Writing)
- "Excellent! Gave me a great understanding of Agile in general, not just User Stories! Thank you." (Agile Analysis and Story Writing)
- "Very good trainer who really knows his stuff." (Scrum / Kanban)
- "Great elements of all the things an organisation needs to do to evolve to LEAN & Agile ways of working, all in one course." (Leading SAFe)
- "An excellent course on how to scale Agile for many teams. Superb trainer with useful insights and practical experience." (Leading SAFe)
- "Great to learn alternative Agile experience / anecdotes. Much better understanding of Story Board, WSJF. Nice refresh on User Story Writing (Agile Analysis and Story Writing)
- "Excellent trainer! Our interest in the course was maintained throughout the course. Practical views from the trainer. Excellent overall!" (Scrum / Kanban)
- "Very informative and helped me to schedule and prioritise my work. Thank you." (Leading SAFe)
- "Excellent overall - very pragmatic and insightful." (Leading SAFe)
- "A really good insight into SAFe and the fundamentals needed for an organisation to become Agile and responsive top to bottom" (Leading SAFe)
- "An experienced and enthusiastic delivery of the material."
Agil8 is led by David Hicks, pioneer of Agile since the 1990s, Agile Alliance Founder and one of the world’s most qualified and experienced Agile practitioners. Agil8 has been responsible for the training and certification of over 5,000 people in Agile.
The agil8 team provides fully accredited Agile training in Scrum, the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Kanban and AgilePM / DSDM. Our Agile training portfolio includes the full range of Agile training, both certified as well as uncertified, from entry-level overview training through certification courses and on to extended education aimed at improving the skills of ScrumMasters, Scrum Product Owners and other Agile team members. We also provide technical training to development teams.
In addition, we offer a full range of coaching and consulting services to clients in all industries, both public and private sector. With a focus on complex and challenging environments, what sets us apart is our experience, pragmatic approach and ability to mix and match differing Agile techniques to a particular set of client or project/programme requirements. Our consulting expertise enables us to support companies with a requirement to scale Agile across large and distributed teams.
- Book early and receive an Early Bird discount!
- Reductions are also available for groups over 3 on public courses.
- Agil8 offers additional discounts to the unemployed and charities - please enquire.