Santosh Joy has 12 years of experience in software development. He has received an M.S. in Computer Science from the University of North Carolina (UNC) and his MBA from Kelley School of Business (IU). Santosh has worked with a variety of companies including a Fortune 500 companies from manufacturing to healthcare Industries. Santosh is a seasoned Scrum Master and Scum Coach who focuses on increasing communication and transparency to break down organizational silos helping teams deliver amazing business value
Certified Scrum Master (Practicing) with special skill in Agile methodology and implementing decision, interpersonal skills, making decisions, managing conflict, managing groups, meeting goals and problem solving skills. Also specialized in report preparation and selling ideas or products, setting and meeting deadlines, setting goals and sharing credit with others and demonstrated ability to understand and improve legacy code and to become proficient at new technologies quickly.
Effective interpersonal and communication skills and a highly motivated self-starter who takes great pride in ownership and team effort, to achieve the organization goals within budget and produce deliverables on time. Seeking an opportunity with challenging assignments to harness technical and managerial skills to accomplish the goals of the organization.
Cummins Inc., Columbus, IN
Cummins Inc. is a Fortune 500 corporation that designs, manufactures, and distributes engines, filtration, and power generation products. Cummins also services engines and related equipment, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission control and electrical power generation systems
Scrum Master Principal, Connected Solutions Aug. 2015-Present
- Mentored and coached mobile/Web teams new to Agile in Scrum and Lean Best Practices developing Telematics solutions
- Focused primarily on training the teams to write good user stories, prioritize the work based on business value and handling of the tasks by the team. Placed substantial efforts on team member role training, time-boxing and providing strong metrics for all players
- Brought in Agile best practices such as time-boxing, continuous integration, code/design reviews, transparency, accountability, rally tracking, product visioning, technical debt reduction, self-management, empowerment and role training resulting in realized velocity improvement of more than 100%
- As a Scrum Master managing multiple cross functional teams (30+ people), identified process changes required to accelerate development and remove major impediments. In eight weeks, reduced time to ship by approximately 30%. To achieve these results, updated group's processes to conform to Agile Scrum standards
- Facilitated Scrum of Scrum calls for seven different teams following Agile process
- Led strategic Release Planning and tactical Iteration Planning sessions
- Conducted daily stand-ups in two-week Iterations, facilitated sprint reviews, retrospectives, and sprint planning
- Communicated and presented weekly updates to stakeholders and program managers
- Coordinated software development with product and marketing groups to ensure feature release based on manufacturing commitments
- Developed the roadmap for all teams to evolve toward predictive velocities
- Coached product owners on requirements gathering and story writing process
Cummins Inc., Columbus, IN
Sr. IT Delivery Manager Aug. 2014 – July 2015
Plan, develop and implement project efforts that utilize information technology solutions. Develop, establish and maintain project management standards and procedures. Develop the project scope, defining project guidelines, obtaining business and information technology sponsor approvals and coordinating the resources necessary to successfully complete the project. Manage multiple large-sized, highly complex enterprise-wide projects for Web and Mobile based platforms.
- Accountable for managing the delivery of contracted outsourced services for developing web/mobile applications to BUIT/Business.
Ensures that implementations and ongoing services are delivered on time and meet client requirements by maintaining tight control over the project schedule, risks, scope of work and budget. Builds and maintains strong client relationships, and participates in client meetings regarding performance to ensure client satisfaction. Ensures that operational teams and Global Preferred Vendors maintain a clear understanding of the client's needs, and provides day-to-day client advice and support.
- Manage project scope by ensuring any changes to scope are documented and approved with project change request form. Manage day-to-day operational aspects of a project. Review deliverables prepared by team before passing to client. Establish, schedule, and facilitate regular status meetings with project personnel. Identify and coordinate any effects on dependent projects.
Identify the elements of risk in a project. Analyze and prioritize and consolidate project risks and assess its potential impact to the client. Develop and maintain risk plans, processes and systems in order to mitigate risk, with assistance. Create action plan for risks that occur and follows through on plan. Maintain issue list, proactively escalating issues to project and departmental leadership to mitigate risk.
- Utilize various tools and techniques for estimating costs associated with a project including physical, financial and human capital costs. Refine project cost estimates and confirms funding sources. Monitor the actual cost of a project versus the budget, continuously. Define and evaluate factors that may potentially cause cost changes. Conduct in-depth root cause analysis of project budget discrepancies.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with business owners, project sponsors, vendors and key clients. Provide strategic guidance and insight for projects that are mission or business critical.
- Supports the communication plan as required conveying project scope, goals, milestones, budget, risk, status, change requests and critical issues to the client and project team. Assess the effectiveness of the interaction and communication with the client and project team.
- Develop and distribute the schedule for delivery of product/service. Verify completeness of delivery package/documentation. Coordinate the transfer of the product/service. Initiate and execute project closure.
Cook Medical Inc., Bloomington, IN
Cook Medical is a worldwide leader in developing health care devices for more than 40 medical specialties.
Serves over 135 countries with over 16,000 products across the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia.
Scrum Master/ Software Dev. Manager July 2010 – July 2014
Project Leader and technical evangelist in suggesting and implementing team wise adoption of best and proven technologies to facilitate and improve the productivity of team.
· Aligning the strategic business goals to IT project strategy.
- Facilitating Daily scrum meetings, spring planning, spring review, and spring retrospective.
- Working with Product owner on Artifacts such as Product Backlog, Spring Backlog, Sprint Burndown and Release Burndown.
- Work closely with product owner in backlog management and continuous delivery of features.
- Managing the overall performance and delivery of cross-functional
- Facilitating sprint planning as Scrum master for multiple Scrum teams;
- Publicizing the team's progress and successes to make sure they are highly visible to product owner/streak holders.
- Managing projects in both Agile and Waterfall development environments.
- Keeping the team together all the time to ensure successful sprints.
- Migrating the Projects from Waterfall to Scrum is major responsibility.
· Identifying the gaps in the strategy planning (in both IT and Program) and advising the changes and additions needed.
· Assessing the entire strategic IT projects and advises the changes and additions needed.
- Coaches and mentors agile team members and provides constructive performance feedback
- Trained and coached a development team of 6-8 and management team of 12 to utilize Agile Methodology with Scrum
- Encouraging the team for self-organization to boost the efficiency and coordination
- Working with stakeholders / product owners to prioritize the requirements for sprint.
- Encouraging the team to come up with reusable elements and use the best practices.
- Helped the product owners to come up with set of stories for better understanding for estimate and development.
- Motivated the team to come up with quality shippable product and meet the product goals.
- Tracks and reports status and other metrics against goals on an ongoing basis
· Providing Roadmap of the execution strategy. Providing the cost and time assessment of the requirements.
· Interacting with business (internal & external customers) and technical (software engineering) community to do business analysis and translate into business entity cases (functional and non-functional specifications) and create the complete business requirements document with scope use cases.
· Helping in creating the ideal WBS (Waterfall and/or Agile/Scrum) by following the Project Execution Methodology.
· Providing leadership on critical/high risk parts of the projects.
· Working with Lead QA’s and Technical Leads to provide business definitions and implementation approvals.
- Working with project management group/team/organization to implement industry standard project management methodologies.
- Mentoring the business and IT teams to reduce risk, increase efficiency and time and be a part of the company to lead everyone to success.
Scrum/PM tools: Jira, Confluence, Greenhopper, VersionOne.
Cook Medical Inc, Bloomington, IN
Sr. Software Engineer/Team Lead Feb 2004 till June 2010
Lead Developer in suggesting and implementing team wise adoption of best and proven technologies to facilitate and improve the productivity of team.
- Responsible for the initiation, planning, execution, control and completion of the project.
- Established a lightweight Scrum project management process and helped team meet sprint goals.
- Coach team members and clients on agile software development techniques.
- Participated in other client projects to provide strategic assistance as needed.
- Manage software development and integration projects through all phases of project life cycle – analysis, design, development, testing, implementation and post production support.
- Documented functional and technical specifications.
- Worked with database team in database design and data modeling.
- Designed and developed the organization’s new public website with Liferay portal, restful webservices using seam, resteasy, JQuery and AJAX, IOS development for iPhone and iPad application.
- Team leader for QA testing. Developed testing plans and procedures for unit test, system test and acceptance test.
- Developed reusable and customizable login module using Spring security for authenticating with active directory credentials.
- Involved in requirement gatherings, designing and development of around more than10 websites in J2EE for clinical trials done around the world with multiple language support.
- Proposed ideas influencing the company to go with Agile Scrum methodologies using tools like JIRA, Confluence, Version One, Pivtol Tracker, KanbanPad and Bugzilla for bugtracking.
- Setup Quick Test Pro for all the functional testing for web applications.
- Languages: Java, XML, JSON and Unix Shell Scripting.
- Web Frameworks: Struts, Seam, Grails, AJAX, CSS, Resteasy, JQuery, Portals and Portlets.
- ORM/Persistence: Hibernate, JPA
- Mobile Development: IOS development with IOS 6 and IOS 7
- Test Tools: JUnit, TestNG, Mercury QuickTest Pro and eTester.
- Caching: Ehcache, Hibernate caching
- Operating Systems: MS DOS, UNIX, Mac OSX, Windows, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 and Ubuntu.
- RDBMS/Tools: Oracle, MySQL and Postgresql.
- Modeling Tools: Rational Rose, Visio and Erwin.
- IDE: Eclipse, NetBeans and JBOSS developer studio.
Software Engineer April 2003 - Jan 2004
Worked as consultant for Share Care application for State of California.
- Involved in requirement gathering and worked with design team.
- Developed xml validator tool to validate the xml data files and image files sent by third party before uploading into the websites. This system is developed by using Java and Sax Parser
- Developed the application-using Oracle, Java.
MS in Computer Science from University of North Caroline (UNC) at Greensboro
MBA from IU Kelly School of Business
5 stars Academy Leadership certified.
Certified SCRUM MASTER