SAi Global, Director of Engineering -- GRC
April 2015 - May 2016, Alpharetta, GA
Managing 11 developers spread across four agile teams.
Ipswitch, Director, Platform, Network Management
May 2013 - April 2015, Alpharetta, GA
Managed team of 14 developers and managers spread across three agile teams, including one remote team (Utah), that were working on a high-profile internal project to convert the What’s Up Gold UI from ASP.NET to ExtJS and to refactor the product code base into a modular architecture. The project spans eight agile teams. .
* Coordinated with other directors, product owners, Scrum masters, UX designers and QA personnel to remove obstacles, groom the release backlog and develop appropriate processes for the effort. .
* Worked with engineering manager in Utah office to culturally integrate that team with the development teams in the Alpharetta office..
* Appointed acting chief architect for a six-month time span during search for a replacement after previous chief architect resigned. Organized knowledge transfer sessions from previous chief architect to mitigate loss. Instituted a virtual architecture team comprised of technical experts from across multiple teams to fill the knowledge gap and to facilitate communication of an architectural nature to and from the teams.
* Co-chaired workplace reinvention team. Led the team in an analysis of Ipswitch’s current mission, vision and values, as well as a SWOT analysis focused on the workplace, including the introduction to the team of concepts due to Patrick Lencioni. The results of the analysis were presented first to an executive team including the CEO and then to the company as a whole. The team also provided recommendations for strategic objectives centered around the workplace to the CEO..
athenahealth, Director -- Application Development (Anodyne)
November 2009 - May 2013, Alpharetta, GA, United States
athenahealth acquired Anodyne Health in October 2009.
* Responsibilities and roles from the Anodyne Health position carried over into this position. Wore product owner, scrum master and team lead hats at various times.
* Transitioned from reporting to Anodyne's CTO to reporting to athenahealth's CTO as part of the Anodyne executive team.
Anodyne Health, Director -- R&D
June 2007 - November 2009, Alpharetta, GA, United States
* Implemented agile development practices at Anodyne; incuding the underlying infrastructure. Incorporated the practices both in the Alpharetta and Charlotte offices. Wore scrum master and team lead hats at various times.
* Managed and led development for Anodyne's Analytics and Dashboard applications.
* Managed the Charlotte team responsible for the development of Anodyne's coding technology and for custom development for specific clients.
* Developed a variation of the Analytics technology for use with Anodyne's sales and marketing data.
* Implemented new review process for technical employees.
* Contributor to third-tier customer support and technical support for sales and marketing.
Applied Systems Intelligence, Inc., Chief Scientist -- R&D
October 1999 - May 2007, Roswell, GA, United States
* Product/project manager (4 years) and technical lead (6 years) for ASI's PreAct software suite and training courses
* Early adopter of Agile and Scrum methodologies -- used Scrum methodologies from 2002 onwards for product and project development. Wore product owner, scrum master, team lead and team member hats on various occasions.
* Member of ASI's Software Engineering Process Group, which led ASI to a CMM Level 3 appraisal in 2005 using a 100% Scrum approach
* Served terms on Strategic Planning and Knowledge Engineering Standards Committees
* Led development of prototype systems for health assessment via Bayesian biometric parameter analysis and intelligent vacation planning
* Led development of demonstration systems for intelligence analysis, missile defense and child welfare case management.
* Key member of team that developed a proof-of-concept demonstration (ICAV) for the command and control of multiple unmanned air vehicles by an operator.
* Provided technical expertise in support of business development in all business areas.
* Assisted in evaluating and pursuing government R&D funding opportunities.
* Acted as software/knowledge engineering consultant in all business areas.