I started my journey with what would become Agile in 1999. I began as an XP developer who was captivated with what were then called “light-weight” methods. Having worked on many waterfall projects where clients ended up with a non-optimal product, I quickly saw the promise of Agile. As my career progressed into being a Product Owner, a Scrum Master and an Agile PM, I could see there were types of projects where Scrum didn’t make sense: small team projects, maintenance releases, etc. The vast majority of software development projects do benefit from Scrum.
Some key thing to note about are:
- Technical Agile Project Manager with 20 years of experience.
- Certified Scrum Master.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner.
- PMP since 2003.
- University of Waterloo Honors B.Sc.
- Government SECRET Security Clearance.
More detailed information on past projects can be found at: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/dir/James/Portman
EPAM Systems, Senior Project Managwr
August 2013 - Present, Toronto, Ontario, CA
Bell TV on behalf of EPAM Systems Inc.
I am working closely with a team of developers, architects, business analysts and product owners to deliver enterprise software solutions in a complex environment. Accountable for:
• All Project Deliverables including documentation and code
• Developing and maintaining adherence to project plan
• Coaching and mentoring team members
• Directing all team and client analysis, development, quality assurance and deployment
• Maintaining the project plan and reporting with status to client and EPAM
Envisage, Project Manager
August 2012 - July 2013, Toronto, Ontario, CA
Worked with teams in Toronto and New York to successfully deliver a complex iOS consumer-facing App used by car dealerships throughout North America. Worked with separate teams to develop Android (Java) and iOS (Objective C) Augmented Reality Apps. Accountable for:
• Monthly 6 figure budgeting
• Scrum Master for daily stand-ups, etc.
• Liaising with client Project Manager.
VocaLinks Inc, Architect/PM
January 2007 - July 2012, Toronto, Ontario, CA
Part of a team that delivered a six figure complex scheduling and management system. It provides training to students throughout Ontario with mobile trainers. Responsible for:
• Developed complex 30-table SQL backend.
• Created REST web services for integrating with mobile app and enterprise accounting system.
• Developed real-time scheduling algorithms to incorporate timing, location, skill matching, etc.