Ernst is a Scrum Master and Agile Coach with 14 years of experience in software development in smaller companies and large corporations. 5 of those years he has been leading agile software development teams.
As an education junkie he has majored in software engineering, technical management and systemic coaching, organizational- and human resources development next to his day jobs.
While gathering software development experience in three different companies and studying software engineering Ernst
developed a strong affection for professional software craftsmanship.
In 2011 he became tech lead and Scrum Master in a newly opened software development office of European Directories. He helped create and lead multiple Scrum teams there. After the first six months in a leadership position
Ernst realized that his technical education and experience was not enough to be a good leader.
He went back to the university of applied sciences in Vienna and started taking evening classes in technical management (IT).
Having spent more than two years working in and with Scrum Teams Ernst fell in love with agile software development. He became full time Scrum Master at Austrian Lotteries who where in the middle of an agile transition.
Since then Ernst has been helping the teams and the organization to move toward a new way of working step by step.
Writing his master thesis in technical management on Scrum Masters in different organizations Ernst uncovered the usefulness of systems thinking and coaching skills
for helping self-organized teams and organizations to evolve. Starting to work on his third Masters degree (management of social systems: coaching, organizational- and human resources development)
his colleagues started calling him "education junkie". Ernst really enjoys continuously improving and fully embraces the concept of life long learning.
Austrian Lotteries, Scrum Master
September 2012 - Present, Vienna, Vienna, Austria
- Lead self-organized scrum teams with a focus on guiding the teams towards improving the way they work
- Support the team to continuously improve quality, productivity and their software craftsmanship in general
- Assist the product owners with keeping the backlog groomed
- Reach out to the larger company network for impediment removal
- Facilitate sprint planning, retrospective and product backlog refinement activities
- Facilitate of other meetings, workshops and large group moderation
- Facilitate of international cross-team collaboration
- Support and mediate conflict resolution within a team and between teams
- Coach and mentor Scrum team members (Product Owners, software developers, software architects, software testers)
- Maintain relevant metrics that help the team see how they are doing
- Liaise between the developers and QA Engineers. Foster better communication between the disciplines
- Convey agile principles and ideals within the organization
- Improve the organization’s Scrum adaption together with other Scrum Masters
Herold Business Data GmbH (European Directories Division), tech lead and Scrum Master
October 2010 - June 2012, Vienna, Vienna, Austria
- line manager and Scrum Master
- requirements engineering
- facilitation of inter-team software architecture and framework design
- head of systems administration
- DEVOPS facilitation
Herold Business Data GmbH, software architect
November 2009 - September 2010, Mödling, Lower Austira, Austria
- Java software development as a Scrum team member
- collaborative creation of coding and architecture guidelines for multiple teams
- Improving build process and quality assurance
- database modeling
- implementing persistence layers, web services and web service clients
IRIAN Solutions GmbH, senior software developer
November 2005 - May 2009, Vienna / Frankfurt, Austria and Germany, Austria
- Java software development
- database modelling and data integration (Oracle)
- implementing persistence layers (Hibernate, JPA)
- implementing JSF user interfaces
- automated UI testing
- unit testing
ESS - Environmental Systems and Services GmbH, software developer and systems administrator
August 2002 - June 2005, Gumpoldskirchen, Lower Austira, Austria
- PHP software development
- CGI-programming (C/C++)
- database modelling and data integration (Oracle, MySQL)
- system administration (Red Hat Linux, Solaris, Windows 2000/XP)