I am an experienced agilist who is leading the agile transformation of software development at the British Library, helping to maximise the quality and value of the software we develop to help meet the Library's objectives. I lead product delivery teams working on the ingest of audio/visual content into the digital library, and public access to all content in the digital library, facilitating scrum teams, coaching product owners and delivering training across the Library. I am a trained Innovation Games facilitator, and I am passionate about using these techniques to solve complex public policy issues. I am a committee member of the BCS Agile Methods Specialist Group, and lead organiser of PlayCamp UK 2017.
I am currently ScrumMaster on two projects. Universal Viewer is delivering a browser-based application to allow access to the the Digital Library, and providing the supporting infrastructure. Save Our Sounds is a Library-led national project, working with various archives and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund to secure the audio (and video) stored up and down the country, ultimately, making it accessible via Universal Viewer.
I helped the Library to make the transition to agile delivery methods, using Scrum to help ensure provide a framework for disciplined delivery whilst providing a framework to allow business flexibility. During this transition process, I trained more than one hundred colleagues in Scrum in this period, and set up ScrumMaster, Product Owner and Tester Communities of Practice, helping to promote a culture of agility.
The British Library, Technical Project Leader
September 2013 - Present, London, United Kingdom
- Coaching technical and business teams and individuals to understand Agile methods of working
- Consulting on, documenting and implementing a standardised agile (Scrum) process across three development teams, including recommending and designing quality management processes
- Scrum Master on a range of projects (including Universal Viewer, Save Our Sounds)
- Technical service manager for the Reader Registration System (RRS)
- Technical service manager for the Automated Book Retrieval System (ABRS)
- Technical service manager for Team Foundation Server (TFS)
RSK Business Solutions Ltd, Technical Lead / Technical Project Manager
January 2010 - August 2013, Hildenborough, Kent, United Kingdom
Technical lead for Microsoft .NET development projects, with responsibility for the design, delivery and support of all Microsoft-based applications and supervision of 10-15 developers.
• Analyse business requirements and develop technical specifications, concepts and prototype software and websites.
• Liaise with business and development stakeholders to analyse business requirements and develop technical specifications, concepts and prototype software and websites.
• Develop architecture and code frameworks to meet the stated requirements, identify appropriate design and code patterns to make implementation repeatable at minimal risk
• Identify key technical challenges and decompose into stories and tasks for sprints, undertaking research and development on high risk tasks
• Work with developers and testers to ensure that code meets quality standards and to help improve individual and team performance
• Develop project plans, and co-ordinate all stakeholders to achieve consensus and minimise risks.
• Liaise with our development office in Delhi to plan effective and efficient resource utilisation.
• Manage the customer help desk and the development infrastructure.