Bob Winter is an internal Principal Education Consultant and Practice Lead at CA Technologies, a software company of 13,000 employees. His unique perspective, supporting the enterprise agile transformation while being the product owner of an education scrum, has provided him with opportunities to infuse education with agile, while teaching an engineering community the importance of the human component of everything. Bob is a Certified Performance Technologist and a Certified Scrum Professional. With 20+ years of experience in large-scale instructional design and program management, Bob has deep expertise in all disciplines of the learning profession. He is a member of the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI) and the ScrumAlliance. Bob's first book, Agile Performance Imrprovement, will be pubished by Apress in the summer of 2015. He is the author of the It Ain’t Training blog, and he tweets as @TheBobWinter.
CA Technologies, Principal Education Consultant
August 2012 - Present, Marblehead, Massachusetts, US
-Develop and implement Education strategy in support of the transformation to an Agile software development methodology.
-Provide consultative support to product owners in developing employee capabilities to meet business goals.
-Lead scrum that developments, implements, and evaluates learning resources.
-Initiating human performance technology community of practice.
Fidelity Investments, Learning Program Director
June 2006 - March 2012, Boston, Massachusetts, US
• Provide performance consultation and program development for Asset Management clients, including Equity, Fixed Income, Board Support, Investment Operations, and IT.
• Developed a scalable solution to create awareness among investment management technologists of the long-term IT strategy. Recall of main concepts of the strategy went from 39% correct (pre-pilot/baseline knowledge check) to 91% (post-training). Self-reported level of commitment moved from 5% pre-pilot (top 2 box score) to 63% for individual contributors.
• Conducted training assessment for the Investor New Hire program. Implementation of recommendations yielded a year-over-year improvement in participants’ perception of how well the program prepared them to begin their jobs.
• Implemented standardized new hire experience for mutual fund trustees, based on industry best practices. Program was delivered by way of a reconceived learning website. Trustees expressed appreciation for the improved usability of the site, and usage increased by 60%.
• Analyzed and presented Competency Self-Assessment data for IT, in such a manner that influenced all enterprise IT orgs in how they interpreted their data. Designed a facilitative process to identify high-impact performance improvement opportunities, which provided the foundation for annual HR and training plans.
• Provided implementation support for the PPMC time tracking tool in Asset Management. Designed and conducted a survey method that enabled us to quantify time saved through this operational change. Results demonstrated that IT and Investment Operations saved or repurposed ~$100k in labor expense.
• Developed and sustained Onboarding and role based curricula for IT, which were well-received by management and supported with 100% participation.