A driven, dynamic and results orientated freelance agile consultant specialising in transformations to Scrum and Lean Kanban methods.
Nick has a strong background in investment banking and hedge funds, with an exemplary record of delivering effective IT solutions that achieve value that business users really want.
Nick is highly motivated in transforming organisations to use agile approaches. Prior to using Scrum for the first time in January 2009, Nick used traditional waterfall techniques in his roles as project manager, business analyst and developer. By working extensively in traditional methods, he really appreciates the benefits agile approaches bring. He now has extensive experience of Agile methodologies, being certified in Scrum and Lean Kanban.
He has proven experience of transforming failing projects; taking ownership of issues and applying processes to reduce waste and deliver key business benefits.
Being a former developer, he specialises in introducing test automation, thereby reducing the time to market for adopted solutions. He has pioneered the use of JBehave for BDD. At functional test level he has overseen the use of TestComplete and Unified Functional Testing scripts in automated regression packs.
He also has considerable exposure to Selenium having undertaken a thorough review of it's suitability to large scale corporate applications.
Nick possesses exceptional organisational and negotiation skills and has the tenacity and attention to detail that steers complex projects through to maximise business value.
He is a first class communicator and accomplished relationship builder who forms positive and enduring relationships across all levels of an organisation, gaining trust and respect with ease.
Nick is well known in the agile community in London. He is an active member of many 'meet up' groups and organises ABC (Agile Book Club) London. He uses this network effectively to benefit the clients he works for.
Barclays Investment Bank, Scrum Master
July 2012 - Present, London, United Kingdom
Responsible for transformation of Cash Settlements and Payments Technology (OTC Derivatives) from waterfall development method to Scrum
Scrum Master on multiple concurrent projects - Equity Derivatives, Business Activity Monitor, Summit De-commissioning, Credit Derivatives upgrade
Agile coaching of business and IT staff new to Scrum
Company wide presentations as pary of the Agile community of practice
Man Investments, Srum Master / Business Analyst
August 2010 - April 2012, London, United Kingdom
• Responsible for identifying product operations’ requirements and developing in house solutions for the 3 main fund groups: AHL (Systematic), Multi Manager (Fund of Hedge Funds) and GLG (predominantly trend).
• Championed scrum agile development cycles on projects, meeting with users to ascertain their iterative requirements and skilfully setting up and coordinating in house scrum teams, agile unit testing and user acceptance testing with software delivery from third party vendors who used the waterfall approach to development.
• Skilfully managed multiple vendors and stakeholders, building enduring and highly effective working relationships and influencing decisions to ensure the smooth execution of tasks and maximise value delivery.
• Transformed the struggling Cash Management (CMAP) application project, expertly taking ownership of the requirements from initial analysis through the full development cycle. Drove the project forward with the implementation of daily scrum calls with the users, developers and product managers to determine and prioritise tasks and issues and map progress.
• Successfully performed and delivered multiple tasks on the Fund of Hedge Funds portfolio rebalancing tool, including providing portfolio managers with AHL managed accounts exposure from the MMD application and providing investment managers with AHL daily cash margins for speculative trading, FX and Bond Hedging.
• Overcame initial resistance from an existing vendor and successfully streamlined and delivered a complex reconciliations project. Started from scratch and revisited the users to determine their exact requirements and needs, expertly identified test conditions, supported the developers in overcoming any issues and delivered an effective automated system that reduced the risk of financial penalties.
J P Morgan, PM/BA
April 1994 - May 2010, Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Successfully managed a major project for Global Derivatives Services, the first in the area to adopt Agile Scrum Methodology enabling rapid on-boarding of derivatives clients for automated trade capture onto the Calypso platform.