Taught by Agile Alliance Founder Member
All CSM courses are taught by Certified Scrum Trainers. Taking a CSM course, passing the CSM test, and accepting the license agreement designates you as a Certified ScrumMaster, which indicates that you have been introduced to and understand the basic concepts you need to perform as a ScrumMaster or team member on a Scrum team. This course also satisfies two elements of the CSD track: Scrum Introduction and Elective.
This Course employs practical exercises, real world case study examples and discussions to provide everything that you need to know to deliver a successful Scrum Project.
Participants who complete the course successfully will be designated Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), and this is the first step to becoming a Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP). This Certification includes a two-year membership of the Scrum Alliance.
About your Trainer:
David Hicks is a highly experienced Agile coach, trainer and speaker and a Director and co-founder of RADTAC, the leading Agile services company. He has been a specialist in Agile and Iterative approaches since 1988 when his MSc Thesis on the subject was published by the British Computer Society. From 1996-2000 he was responsible for the world’s first large-scale enterprise Agile enablement at British Airways, which culminated in the adoption of Agile as the single standard approach for use across BA’s entire 5000-strong IT department. David became a Founder Member of the Agile Alliance in 2002. Since then David has provided Agile coaching and training to many of the world’s leading organisations such as BT, Prudential, Wipro, Virgin, Capita, Fidelity Investments and Mastek in countries across the globe including Europe, the US, India, China and Japan. For the last three years David has been responsible for the RADTAC Agile Training and Coaching team at Nokia Symbian System Software. With over 1200 software engineers in some 150 Agile teams in Finland, India, China, the US and the UK, this is the largest implementation of Agile ever attempted on a single software product.
David is experienced in all of the leading Agile approaches including Scrum, XP, Lean Software Development and the Agile / Open Unified Process and has in-depth experience of complementary non-agile approaches including PMI and PRINCE2. His holds many formal Agile qualifications and is one of only two Trainers in the world certified for both Scrum and Agile Project Management:
- Certified Scrum Trainer
- Certified Scrum Practitioner
- Certified Scrum Product Owner
- Certified ScrumMaster
- Certified APMG Agile Project Management Trainer
- Certified DSDM Agile Trainer
- Certified DSDM Agile Practitioner
- Certified APLN Agile Leadership Practitioner
David is an engaging trainer and popular speaker at Scrum Gatherings and Agile Conferences and has provided commentary on Agile via many articles and interviews such as this recent one with the British Computer Society
Comments by attendees of David's recent courses:
- "Altogether, a very informative, educational and enjoyable course. Thanks!" 07/11/11
- "Very useful and enjoyable course backed up with Dave Hicks' extensive practical experience in Scrum" 07/11/11
- "Very enjoyable and informative" 01/06/11
- "I found the style refreshingly honest and devoid of "religious fervour" - as always, the practical war stories were the most informative and helpful part. Also appreciated the reference to other methods (DSDM etc) and parts of their thinking which may be useful" 01/06/11
- "Excellent trainer! Our interest in the course was maintained throughout the course. Practical views from the trainer. Excellent overall!" 26/05/11
- "Dave presented the course material in an extremely interesting and motivating manner" 26/04/11
- "I was happily surprised that the majority of the course covered a generic agile approach coupled with a substantial amount of dealing with change management, in addtion to core Scrum!" 26/04/11
- "Very enjoyable course and Dave was an excellent trainer" 26/04/11
- "Excellent course, really understood Scrum well and in the context of the overall Agile approaches and processes" 27/11/10
- "Extremely good presentation of ideas and concepts" 03/11/10
- "Excellent all round understanding of Scrum and the ScrumMaster role gained from attendance on this course" 25/10/10
- "A very well presented course, much of the content from which I will utilise with my company" 13/10/10
- "Very useful, met my objectives of how to personalise Scrum elements for my organisation" 13/10/10
- "Excellent course, a real eye opener. The trainer opened my eyes to a better way of doing things. Great real world examples" 07/10/10
- "Excllent course for me, spot on!" 29/09/10
- "Really enjoyed the course and have taken a lot from it, especially with regards to estimating, planning and the concept of velocity. I would highly recommend Dave as a trainer" 23/09/10
- "Enjoyable and practical. Suitable for wide range of audiences" 23/09/10
- "Trainer was brilliant - very knowledgeable and I learned lots from him" 22/06/10
- "I thought this course was outstanding. I had 2 years’ experience but learned a lot" 22/06/10
- "Course was great; lecture inspiring; charismatic" 13/05/10
- "Very thorough and advantaged hugely by trainer's hands-on experience" 09/03/10
- "The instructor's knowledge of real world scenarios and applying Scrum was excellent. I'd recommend him for further courses of study" 02/03/10
- "Very good course content; right balance between learning 'core' Scrum theory vs. comparison of Scrum with broader/other Agile methods and 'traditional' project/programme management" 15/01/10
- "Excellent course, which helped to provide knowledge of Scrum, but also specific challenges. Good pace, committed and enthusiastic trainer with ability to tailor/manage course as required" 15/01/10
- "David was an excellent course trainer, was very approachable and delivered the content in an easy to understand format. I would recommend this course to those who wish to embrace Agile and Scrum" 03/12/09
- "A well-presented course with a successful combination of presentations and interactive work" 28/10/09
- "Dave is an excellent trainer. I really appreciated covering scaling Agile to an enterprise level" 28/10/09
- "Dave's real life experiences helps to temper peurile versus pragmatic implementation" 16/09/09
29-30 Nov 2011
RADTAC - Booking Terms & Conditions and Cancellation Policy (2011/2012)
By completing and submitting this registration form, you agree to comply with RADTAC's booking and cancellation policy. Registration includes the provision of any relevant training documentation and light refreshments, but does not include accommodation or transport costs.
Bookings are confirmed on receipt of full payment in advance of the course.
Cancellations made more than 7 days prior to an event will not be refunded - instead the delegate will be given the option to transfer to a course on an alternate date.
Delegates who cancel their reservation less than 7 days prior to an event will incur a charge of 50% of the course fee; the option to transfer will still be available to such delegates.
RADTAC’s recognition of today’s fast-paced business world means that registered participants are permitted to transfer onto an alternative course once at no extra cost. However, each transfer after that is subject to an additional fee of 150 CHF, payable within one week of invoice.
In the event that RADTAC is unable to deliver a course on the date planned, a full refund of the pre-paid fee will be provided. However, should an event need to be cancelled due to circumstances out of RADTAC's control (adverse weather conditions, acts of terrorism, geographical incidents), a re-scheduling of the course will be initiated, rather than a refund being issued. RADTAC is not responsible for any additional costs or losses the client may incur as a result of unforeseen events.
The Certified ScrumMaster course is a two-day interactive session designed to effectively teach Scrum principles and practices. You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Agile Principles and the Agile Manifesto
- The Case for Scrum
- The Scrum Process
- Mastering Scrum Roles
- Product Owner
- Mastering Scrum Ceremonies
- Sprint Planning
- Sprint Review
- Daily Scrum Meetings
- Mastering Scrum Artefacts
- Product Backlog
- Sprint Backlog
- Burndown Chart
- Advanced Scrum
- Scaling Scrum
- Scrum and Distributed Development
- Agile Development and Testing practices within Scrum
- Transitioning to Scrum - Transition strategies and organisational/people issues
This course is useful for anyone who wants to be successful using Scrum. It's not just for ScrumMasters – but will benefit anyone who is involved in a Scrum Project and in any of the Scrum roles. It's strongly recommended for Product Owners, Product Managers, Project Managers, Functional / Departmental Managers, Development Team Members (including Architects, Designers, Coders, Testers, and others), and Executives involved in transitioning to Scrum within their own organisation.