Certified Scrum Product Owner
Montreal Intermediate Certified Product Owner Course + One-Day Workshop
Though each CSPO course varies depending on the instructor, all Certified Scrum Product Owner courses focus on Scrum from a product owner's perspective. Graduates will receive the CSPO designation. All CSPO course are taught by Certified Scrum Trainers.
On July 12-14, Joe Little will lead an Intermediate Certified Scrum Product Owner course + workshop in Montreal, CAN.
Joe is an experienced Agile coach, with in-depth practical experience in helping teams become very productive with Scrum and Agile. He often co-teaches these courses with other great Scrum trainers. Joe's blog is Agile & Business, here.
Summary of the Course
This is an intermediate course, for people with some knowledge and experience.
We spend a good deal of time reviewing the basics, because people always are doing them somewhat wrongly and/or misundertsanding them. And because you must always be explaining them. So you get practice in the course explaining them.
Overall, we use a combination of immersive team-based learning, exercises, and real-world case studies, to help you learn how to be a better Product Owner.
Topics and/or exercises include:
- Plan, initiate and lead a Scrum project
- Release Planning: what & how & why
- Develop the initial Product Backlog
- Breaking down user stories (epics)
- The different sources of PBIs in the Product Backlog
- Improve the identification of Business Value
- Story point estimation: how the PO plays, why he cares
- Managing the Gap between customer expectations and the Team's ability to deliver
- Improving business value engineering: theory, tools, exercises
- Balancing new features against digging out of technical debt
- Refactoring the Release Plan continuously
- Leading the Team and yet have the Team remain self-managing
- Working with Business Stakeholders to make them more effective
- Using the 80-20 rule
- Fixing Product Owner impediments
- Scaling & the Chief Product Owner role
- Managing urgent items
- You have to slow down to go fast
- "Things aren't perfect at my place; what do I do when...?"
- The PO's goals abd actions in the basic Scrum meetings
- Managing the flow of business information into the Team
- Using the Release Burndown and other reporting
We will also get questions and issues from the group, prioritize them, and cover them as much as possible. We have ready far more material than can be covered in the 2 days, in part to be prepared for the different questions. For half the questions at least, another attendee is thinking "oh, I should have asked that."
This CSPO course is unique in that we are moving beyond theory, applying the Scrum framework in the course and the workshop in more real-world circumstances. It is designed to bring attendees to a level where they feel comfortable experimenting and improvising in Scrum through the role of Product Owner. Thus, you can help the team be more creative and release more business value.
Regarding the Workshop, see this blog post. The feedback we get is that the workshop is essential in taking the 'ideas' of the course and making them 'real' via real work (with on-site coaching).
Additional Information :
The course will run from 8:30am-5:10pm each day. A continental breakfast, breaks and lunch will be provided.
Following the course, each participant is enrolled as a CSPO, which includes a one-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, where additional Scrum materials and information are available.
12-14 Jul 2011
Residence Inn Montreal Downtown
Who Should Attend
The CSPO is for managers, analysts, product managers, Business Stakeholders, business analysts, and ScrumMasters. And many project managers. In fact, since the PO is integral to the Team, we recommend that the Team also attend. You will leave with solid knowledge of how and why Scrum works. Through practical, hands-on exercises and small-group discussion you will be prepared to plan your first (or next) sprint immediately after this class.
ScrumMasters need this course, because they must coach Product Owners in these skills.
PMPs: You can receive 21 Professional Development Units (PDUs) for this course + workshop.