Date: 3-4 March, 2014
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Regular Price: NZD $1,900 excl GST
About the course
This Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) course is an intensive deep dive into the world’s most popular Agile method: Scrum. It is an immersive learning experience emphasising hands-on participation through a mix of interactive seminars, group discussions, team activities, games and role-plays.
We use highly immersive adult learning techniques such as visual modelling, simulations, role-plays and 'Training from the Back of the Room' activities to enable self-directed learning and enhanced retention.
Unlike Scrum courses with other trainers, this course offers a Trial Scrum Exam on day 1 with answers discussed day 2. This provides you with clear feedback on your Scrum knowledge in preparation for the post-course Certification Exam.
This course is organised and run using Scrum as a management framework. This allows for feedback and flexibility as well as experiencing Scrum in action throughout the course.
You will learn:
- The philosophy, values and principles that guide you in becoming more Agile.
- The nature of principles such as Empirical Process Control, Iteration, Timeboxing and Self-organisation that provide an effective model for working in a complex environment.
- The Scrum roles in-depth and how they fit together to address Project Management.
- How to establish an environment to foster high-performance agile delivery including creating a Definition of Done and keeping a Product Backlog in a well-groomed state.
- Techniques for facilitating and participating in highly effective agile meetings each iteration and each day.
- How to leverage review and retrospective activities to produce better fit solutions and continuously improve our Scrum delivery capability.
Established in 2003, the CSM certification with its globally recognised accreditation from the Scrum Alliance is by far the most popular Agile training offering worldwide. After completing the require pre-reading, the CSM training course is the second of three setups in gaining the CSM accreditation from the Scrum Alliance. The final step is successfully completing the CSM certification exam. For further information, see the Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) information page.
This course may qualify Project Management Professionals (PMPs) for 14 PDUs as approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Meet your trainer - Rowan Bunning
Rowan has trained more than 2,000 people on Certified Scrum courses in Australia and New Zealand since 2008 making him one of the most experienced Scrum trainers in the Australasian region.
Rowan worked as an Agile Coach at the top Scrum consultancy and web design agency in Europe* - an organisation that offered Agile training by Ken Schwaber and Mike Cohn (two of the most widely recognised names in the global Agile community).
Unlike many Agile Coaches and Trainers, Rowan not only has years of experience in Business/IT Project, but also in ongoing Product Development environments that have proven highly effective without using a project model. This allows Rowan to guide clients in combining the best of both worlds to achieve superior results.
Rowan draws from an extensive Agile toolset with a technical background using eXtreme Programming as well as expertise in Product Management, Lean, Lean Startup, Kanban and Cynefin. He is Cognitive Edge accredited and holds qualifications as a PRINCE2® Practitioner and a trained Innovation Games® facilitator.
A high proportion of Rowan's work is initiated via word-of-mouth recommendation from highly satisfied course participants.
* The Forrester Wave™: European Web Design Agencies, Q2 2006.
Five reasons to do your Scrum training with Rowan Bunning
- Practical guidance from first-hand experience. Over a decade implementing Scrum in dozens of organisations means that Rowan's guidance is grounded in real world challenges and is highly practical. He speaks from first-hand experience, having worked for years in each of the Scrum roles including ScrumMaster, Product Owner and Development Team Member as well as in a wide variety of other technical, leadership and coaching roles.
- Insightful and inspiring. As past course participants testify, you can expect to take away many deep insights into the nature of Scrum and its potential to transform your organisation and your work life for the better. Stories of what others have achieved with Scrum are likely to inspire you to be a game changer yourself.
- Authoritative, non-proprietary material. Unlike many other training providers who teach proprietary, non peer-reviewed method formulations marketed using the generic umbrella term 'Agile', Rowan's teaching is fully aligned with the authoritative definitions of the most widely used and peer-reviewed Agile frameworks (e.g. Scrum as per the definition endorsed by the Scrum Alliance®) and techniques (e.g. User Stories and Story Point Estimation as per Mike Cohn).
- Take away a comprehensive workbook. As a course participant you will receive a comprehensive course workbook including worksheets on key topics, detailed information on the Scrum Roles not found elsewhere, recommended reading and further resources to assist you post-course.
- Post-course follow-up. As well as keeping in touch to help you find the resources you need, Rowan provides post-course Scrum coaching. He has done so with a wide range of organisations in industries including banking, federal and state governments, health insurance, superannuation, salary packing, retail, manufacturing, building security, information security and media.
Testimonials from course participants
“A great course. Excellent facilitation & presentation.” - Project Manager, Workcover NSW
“Very insightful and enjoyable.” - Analyst/Programmer, Agile Development Team, University of Sydney
"I thoroughly enjoyed the course and thanks for facilitating it in such an agile and participative way." - Portfolio Manager at a large local council
"Thank you again for the trainings. I am now more confident running the Scrum projects at work." - Project Manager, RedHat Asia Pacific
NZD $1,900 excl GST per person. This includes the following.
- Two full days training with a highly experienced agile practitioner.
- A printed course workbook.
- Full catering during the course including morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
- Certification as a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) for participants who pass the post-course Certification Exam taken online with the Scrum Alliance.
- 2 years of membership with the Scrum Alliance.
- A letter of course completion that may be submitted to your employer and/or a professional body (PMI/ACS) for PDUs (available upon request).
Simply select the "REGISTER NOW!" button below to begin online registration through the Equinox IT website.
Alternatively, you can call Equinox on +64 9 307 9450
or email us at email@example.com.
All CSM courses are taught by Certified Scrum Trainers. Taking a CSM course, passing the CSM test, and accepting the license agreement designates you as a Certified ScrumMaster, which indicates that you have been introduced to and understand the basic concepts you need to perform as a ScrumMaster or team member on a Scrum team. This course also satisfies two elements of the CSD track: Scrum Introduction and Elective.