Date: 29-30 November, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Regular Price: 1590
About the course
This Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) course is an immersive learning experience involving a highly interactive mix of seminars, group discussions, team activities, games and role-plays.
You will learn:
- The philosophy, science, values and principles that guide you in becoming more agile using Scrum
- The Scrum roles and how they fit together in depth
- How Project Management is addressed by Scrum
- Techniques for getting the most out of the Scrum rituals
- How to establish a Definition of Done and keep an appropriately refined Product Backlog
- How to lead an agile team effectively without micro-managing or interfering with its self-organisation
Initial course backlog
The following initial course backlog provides an outline of major topics from which the instructor and the class collaboratively plan the course. The Scrum framework is employed to manage the course as a two day Scrum project.
Values: As a Scrum practitioner, I want to adopt the values and principles that support agility and good Scrum, so that I can cultivate agile sensibilities and behaviours.
Patterns: As a Scrum practitioner, I want to understand the patterns in the Scrum framework and their purpose, so that I can more clearly see how to apply them and get the most out of them.
- Scrum in a Nutshell
- Empirical Process Control
Roles: As a Scrum practitioner, I want to understand each of the Scrum roles and how they fit together, so that I can play my role well and understand how to interact with others in their roles.
- The Scrum Roles in Depth
- Characteristics of good Scrum Practitioners
- Project Management with Scrum
Planning: As a Scrum practitioner, I want to learn how to work with the Product Backlog and Definition of Done so as to be able to welcome change.
- Product Backlog
- Definition of Done
Delivery: As a Scrum practitioner, I want to learn how to plan effectively at both the Sprint and Day levels, so as to be able to have productive and successful Sprints.
- Sprint Planning
- Daily Scrum
Reflection: As a facilitator, I want to learn how to conduct more effective Scrum review and retrospective meetings, so that I can help us to continuously improve both our product and our process.
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
Leadership: As a ScrumMaster, I want to learn techniques appropriate for leading self-organising teams, so that I can be effective whilst avoiding a 'command and control' style.
- Leading Self-organising Teams
- Scaling Scrum
- Next Steps
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for developers, testers, team leads, project managers, iteration managers and other managers.
For Project Management Professionals, this course may qualify you for 14 PDUs as approved by the Project Management Institute.
What others are saying about courses from Scrum WithStyle
“A great course. Excellent facilitation & presentation.”
- Project Manager, Workcover NSW
“Very insightful and enjoyable.”
- Analyst/Programmer, Agile Development Team, University of Sydney
"I thoroughly enjoyed the course and thanks for facilitating it in such an agile and participative way."
- Portfolio Manager at a large local council
"Thank you again for the trainings. I am now more confident running the Scrum projects at work."
- Project Manager, RedHat Asia Pacific
For more testimonials see: scrumwithstyle.com/testimonials
As the Scrum Alliance website says, “Students are expected to attend the CSM course with a working knowledge of Scrum. This knowledge can be obtained by reading books, articles, and web info about Scrum." A good starting point is the Scrum Student Resources page.
Standard rate of $1590 inc. GST.
This price includes:
- two full days training with a highly experienced agile practitioner
- printed handouts and worksheets
- a letter of course completion that may be submitted to your employer and/or a professional body (PMI/ACS) for PDUs (available upon request)
- full catering during the course including morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- access to online electronic resources following the course
- access to the Certified ScrumMaster certification test
- 2 years membership with the Scrum Alliance for participants who successfully complete the certification test
Please select the "Register Now" button to secure your place on the course.
All CSM courses are taught by Certified Scrum Trainers. Taking a CSM course, passing the CSM test, and accepting the license agreement designates you as a Certified ScrumMaster, which indicates that you have been introduced to and understand the basic concepts you need to perform as a ScrumMaster or team member on a Scrum team. This course also satisfies two elements of the CSD track: Scrum Introduction and Elective.