Date: 28 April - 2 May, 2014
Location: New Orleans, LA, United States
Regular Price: $3,250 ($650 per day)
This immersive, forty-hour training program contains a set of three comprehensive courses that provides the knowledge and skill to become a successful Scrum developer and a valuable member of a Scrum development team.
In our first course, Scrum Framework Developer Essentials, we'll explore Scrum Framework and how it supports faster and simpler software development. In Design Pattern Developer Essentials, we'll discover a core set of design patterns that every developer should know. The program concludes with the popular Scrum Software Developer Essentials course, in which you’ll learn how to write higher quality code more quickly and with fewer defects using practices from Extreme Programming (XP) that include test-first development, refactoring, and emergent design, as well as a variety of Agile problem-solving techniques.
You’ll be taken on a guided tour through essential developer practices, such as story writing, sprint planning, pair programming and test driven development. You’ll learn how to discover patterns in problems and to implement designs as needed. We’ll also explore the principles behind the practices so you understand how to use them to make the best design choices, and you’ll gain a powerful framework for encapsulating and abstracting virtually any problem for maximum flexibility, without over complicating the solution.
By exploring the secrets of high-performance, cross-functional development teams you'll gain a shared design vocabulary for dramatically improving inter-team communication that can be applied equally well to new development and to maintaining or extending existing systems. Then we'll put theory into practice and apply your new skills by building the core of an application using the expert-level techniques you’ve learned for rapidly writing quality software.
By the end of this training program you’ll be armed with several new, effective tools and techniques for Scrum development that will make your software more robust, manageable, and easier to extend.
Completing this course will enable you to:
- Write stories and build features in sprints
- Estimate development tasks more accurately
- Master test-first development to drive design
- Efficiently use TDD’s red-green-refactor cycle
- Work effectively to refactor legacy code
- Diagnose and fix pathologies of poor code
- Exercise techniques to test untestable code
- Collaborate successfully with pair programming
- Use acceptance tests to specify and document
- Avoid upfront overdesign and practice just-in-time development
- Distinguish between twelve design patterns by what they encapsulate
- Define a strategy for continuously integrating software as it is built
- Write software that supports an iterative process without excessive rework
- Support collaborative code ownership and embrace a common aesthetic
- Refactor to patterns and emerge designs in iterative development
- Share a common vocabulary for evaluating and communicating designs
- Implement techniques for recognizing and managing technical debt
- Quantify software qualities that make code easier to maintain and extend
- Recognize how test driven development informs design decisions
- Appreciate the value of adopting shared coding standards
- And much more…
Your Instructor, David Bernstein
My continuing passion for software design and construction has led me to train more than 7,500 developers in the last twenty-three years for clients that have included Fortune 500 firms such as Microsoft, IBM, Yahoo!, Boeing, AT&T, Sprint, Medtronic, SunGard, State Farm, MetLife and Weyerhaeuser. As a longtime IBM consultant, I trained software engineers around the globe, giving them the skills to write the next generation of applications and operating system software while earning one of the highest satisfaction ratings in the history of IBM education. Since 2006, I've devoted my consulting practice to providing organizations with training and coaching for software developers and teams transitioning to Agile and Scrum.
Praise for David's Training
“Have you ever felt the fear of starting a project, not knowing what design to start? Ever felt the fear of making a small change and having everything crash down? Take this class and learn a better way to live and develop without fear.” –D.J. Hagberg, Software Architect
“Take the course. It will change how you approach software development.” –Eric Huber, Senior Software Developer
“One of the most interesting and interactive trainings that I have ever taken part in.” –Brandon Whitaker, Software Engineer
Become a more proficient developer—Register for the next session of this training or contact me to arrange a private, on-site session for your team.
View a pdf version of this course description or the one-page flyer.
All courses on the Certified Scrum Developer® track are taught by Registered Education Providers. For more information on the curriculum for the CSD credential, visit http://www.scrumalliance.org/certifications/practitioners/csd-certification.