Date: 23-25 March, 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ, United States
Regular Price: $1,875
- This course fulfills the Technical skills requirement on the Certified Scrum Developer track.
Scrum Software Development Essentials
Part of the Certified Scrum Developer Training Week
This unique, 3-day training for software developers covers the critical skills needed to be an effective member of a Scrum software development team. Participants learn to identify and give names to the inherent qualities that make software flexible so all team members can communicate with high fidelity. Specific principles and practices which support the development of quality software are presented and examined in detail, including how to discover elegant solutions to software problems using a variety of problem-solving techniques. Understanding the forces at play in software problems enables participants to find and apply the necessary abstractions that make software less complex and reduces the cost of ownership. Advanced techniques, such as commonality-variability analysis, “refactoring to the open-closed”, encapsulating construction, and pattern-oriented design, are emphasized so participants learn how to emerge designs just-in-time and with minimal waste. Mornings are devoted to lectures, with afternoons spent in (Java) programming labs using Eclipse.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Upon completion of this course participants will have a deeper understanding of how to build quality software on a Scrum team and be able to:
- Write software that supports an iterative process without excessive rework
- Use object-oriented techniques to write software that is more extendable
- Identify six code qualities that make software easier to maintain
- Understand how to create flexible designs that can easily change
- Use several practices for writing better software, in any language
- Recognize pathologies of poor code and know how to fix them
- Support collaboration, pair programming and working with customers
- Understand the importance of continuous integration and versioning
- Use test-driven development practices to help build higher-quality software
- Discover software patterns just-in-time to avoid upfront overdesign
- Expert training from one of the industry’s most experienced Agile developer-instructors
- Continental breakfast and lunch; snacks and beverages throughout the day
- A printed and bound copy of all course materials
- A USB drive containing lab-exercise solutions and other useful content
- A free, 30-day advisory period entitling you to ask your instructor questions about the course materials and content, by phone, Skype video or e-mail
- Access to members-only forums containing articles and Scrum-related information
- Free 1-year membership to the Scrum Alliance (normally $50)
- Special discounts on future coaching, and other offers, from Techniques of Design
In the course of his 30-year career, David Bernstein has trained more than 6,000 developers for several Fortune 500 companies on how to improve their software design and construction. A longtime special consultant to IBM, he worked on the development of OS/2 and was a key programmer for IBM’s ImagePlus platform. David trained IBM software engineers around the world, giving them the skills to write the next generation of applications and operating-system software, and earning one of the highest satisfaction ratings in the history of IBM corporate education. He is the creator of a wholesale bank-accounting software program that has become the de facto standard across the globe, as well as econometric software used to invest trillions of dollars. Over the past five years, David has coached and trained thousands of developers at Microsoft, Boeing, Vanguard and dozens of other companies in Agile development practices.
Register for another one of our public classes or contact us to schedule a private class for your group.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
Or Visit: http://www.techniquesofdesign.com
All courses on the Certified Scrum Developer track are taught by Registered Education Providers. For more information on the curriculum for the CSD credential, visit http://www.scrumalliance.org/pages/certified_scrum_developer.