Advanced Micro Devices, Program Manager (former contractor)
August 2010 - December 2012, Austin, TX, United States
Managed portfolio within a large, matrix organization to advance semiconductor production test technology and save >$100million in product costs and capital expense.
- Managed portfolio of >20 software, hardware and methodology projects.
- Managed cost/benefit analysis and project selection.
- Oversaw and mentored planning, execution, delivery and risk management by project teams.
- Coordinated status reporting of the portfolio and issue resolution.
- Coordinated strategies and roadmaps.
- Drove continuous improvement of processes and tools for managing the projects and portfolio, utilizing both ‘waterfall’ and Agile/Scrum best practices.
LSI Corp. Engenio Systems Group, Sr. Project Manager (contractor)
July 2008 - January 2009, Longmont, CO, United States
Within the Portfolio Management Office (PMO), coordinated strategies and development across three computer storage software and hardware product lines plus advanced development.
- Established and managed the process aligning all groups to a master portfolio with shared product and technology roadmaps. Included portfolio balance analysis, “rock sizing” estimation of major requirements, forecasting rough budgets and resource requirements.
- Established and managed a phase-gate project management process for advanced development and strategic planning projects.
- Directly managed selected projects.
July 2006 - June 2008, Fort Collins, CO, United States
Supply project management, product management, process improvement, software engineering and software testing services to clients. Manage client engagements and all facets of the business.
- EDA Software Client: Tested software functionality, evaluated fit in mainstream design systems. Reviewed user documentation and training labs. Edited promotional materials. Proposed product positioning, target market and roadmap refinements in the business plan.
- WEB SaaS Client: Tested functionality, defined functional and UI improvements.
- Two Nonprofit Organizations: Managed projects to define, improve and simplify processes. Improved documentation and forms for volunteers.
LSI Logic Corp., Program Manager, Distinguished Engineer
August 1994 - June 2006, Fort Collins, CO, United States
Managed projects, programs and portfolios of software, hardware, and methodology projects for semiconductor products and complex software systems for designing semiconductors. Worked with marketing, major customers, global development groups, vendors, QA, manufacturing and business units. As an architect, designed and drove implementation of advances in the complex software system and methodologies for designing semiconductor products.
- Delivered >20 complex, cross-functional projects within 10% of baseline schedule, managed from concept through deployment.
- Instituted strategic planning, roadmaps and portfolio management. Established ‘waterfall’ stage-gate SDLC processes in 3 organizations. Formalized risk mitigation and change management. Introduced iterative development (Agile) practices.
- Deployed best practices for software testing, reducing bug rates over 75%. Established monthly update releases for bug fixes and minor enhancements.
- Rose to Distinguished Engineer leading Design System Architecture Team over software system architecture, data flow, design methodologies, user design flow, user documentation and user training development. Designed and drove many functionality improvements across the system. Reviewed and managed system changes.
- Directly managed and mentored up to 16 software and test engineers.
- Received awards for program success, customer support and technical leadership.