TEK Systems, Project Manager/ Scrum Master
January 2009 - December 2013, Bloomington, Illinois, United States
TEK Systems, Bloomington, IL Apr’11 – Current
Client: State Farm Insurance
Role: Project Manager/ Scrum Master
Currently working in the product solutions area for Auto/Life/Health line of business. Projects with various State specific regulations by Department of Insurance (DOI), if not compliant by the specified date would result in high penalties in millions of dollars and/or denial from selling the product.
- Successfully delivered 20 projects (4 Agile and 17 waterfall) over a span of three years with project budgets up to $4M and team size up to 60 resources (Onsite, Offsite and Offshore)
- Managed high complexity, high risk and time sensitive projects in Regulatory, Legal and Critical Maintenance areas
- Worked closely with Business Partners in Actuarial and Compliance department to understand the business needs. Establish the partnership between Business and Systems and work in the best interest of both the parties for the delivery of the products.
- Proactively managed the risks through the rigorous risk management sessions, resulting in prevention of significant negative impacts
- Engaged Business partners/Product Owners and stakeholders via status updates, checkpoints and solicited input to help identify and prioritize risks.
- Closely worked with product owner in maintaining the backlog and prioritizing the stories
- Facilitated the team in transforming the backlog into stories and assigning points
- Effectively engaged the team to maintain and update the backlogs (impediments backlog, Product backlog, sprint backlog/stories, parking lot, burndown chart) to promote team buy in. This helped to proactively identify risks and deliver the product on time with utmost quality
- Along with release and iteration burndown charts, measured the velocity of agile teams regularly to measure the project progress and status.
- Assumed project responsibility midstream and established a tight project plan and schedule that resulted in successful delivery.
- Conducted retrospective sessions that resulted in documenting the lessons learned that were used by in the following iterations and by other projects within the program
- Coached and mentored new team members who were entirely new to the Agile - Scrum frame work
- Made sure the resources (Collaboration room, story boards, calendar, stationary etc.) are reserved and accessible to the scrum team.
- Conduct and facilitate Showcase for every release/drop
Role: Sr. Planner/ Scrum Master Jul’08 – Mar’11
- As a Scrum Master, led multiple strategic businesses IT projects, ranging in budget size between $200K - $4M, high complexity levels dealing with Systems environment and processes, data migrations, software deployment with multi project dependencies
- Assisted work teams with understanding and utilizing the Work Management Processes (planning, controlling, executing, and closing.)
- Organized and co-facilitated sessions dealing with Work Management disciplines, such as:
Work Documentation, Work Schedule, Work Plan, Work Breakdown Structure, Estimating, Network Diagram
- Developed a work schedule, using Work Schedule standards, which are effectively used to manage the work
- Created and maintained reports that are now company standards. It helped in generating he reports in 15 minutes compared to 3 hours earlier.
- Supported delivering the work on-time and within budget while meeting the goals by:
- Defined procedures for the collection of team status and analysis of project's progress, including any metrics reporting and resource forecasting
- Updating the work schedule with periodic status updates collected from the team
- Analyzed the updated schedule, emphasizing items such as Critical Path, Slipped Tasks, and Upcoming Tasks
- Calculated, analyzed and presented metric reports, such as EVA and Burn Rate Analysis,
- Met with the Work Manager to discuss status
- Led meetings and standups for Agile projects as Scrum Master
- Served as a Risk, Issue, and/or Change Control Coordinator by:
- Ensured Issues, Risks and Change Requests are documented and monitor the resolution dates
- Contacted the responsible parties to obtain status and/or ensured resolution documentation
- Offered assistance to facilitate meetings to determine progress and/or resolution
- Provided status of open Issues, Risks and Changes
- Coordinated the collected, input and monitoring of project status
- Analyzed the status information and utilized the results as the basis for project status reporting, and managed resource assignments by monitoring and tracking PARs, authorizations, and hour usage