Kaiser/KForce, Project Manager/Regional Lead
August 2011 - March 2013, Pleasanton, CA, United States
Responsible for providing program management governance and oversight for a very large and complex, multi-million dollar, geographically dispersed ERP integration program.
• Accountable for engaging project resources, defining business and technical requirements, creating detailed work estimates and schedules, and documenting required funding to remediate 50+ legacy applications (covering Finance, Pharmacy, Care Delivery, and Supply Chain) for multiple regions and entities within Kaiser Permanente using Clarity for resource management and an internal web-based tool for project management.
• Partnered with business stakeholders and KPIT to manage project issues, risks, and dependencies.
• Helped design, test, and release a web-based legacy remediation project dashboard for executive and operational reporting for the Northwest region, which has become the management reporting standard for all Kaiser regions.
PMI-Silicon Valley Chapter, Operations Lead, 2011 PMI-SV Symposium
May 2011 - October 2011, Palo Alto, CA, United States
• Build and lead the PMI-Silicon Valley Symposium Operations team
• Develop and manage the PMI-Silicon Valley Symposium operational plan, schedule, and budget
• Ensure the effective and efficient operation of the PMI-Silicon Valley Symposium
Symantec Corporation, Principal Program Manager
July 2005 - March 2011, Mountain View, CA, United States
SYMANTEC CORPORATION – Finance 2005 – present
Principal Program Manager
Responsible for driving Finance-related business process improvement and cost reduction programs and projects. Twice awarded the Standing Ovation award, Symantec’s highest award for exemplifying its core values of innovation, action, customer focus, and trust.
· Launched the framework for a $40 million savings opportunity. (June 2010-present)
Supported the application of Genpact's Smart Enterprise Processes (SEP) methodology to Symantec’s source-to-pay (S2P) process in order to help identify opportunities to become more efficient and reduce the total cost of all S2P transactions by $16-40 million, in support of the Finance Victory Plan.
o Collaborated with Genpact and the business to define an implementation plan with multiple workstreams addressing gaps to best practices, including key success metrics across the S2P process to support continual improvement.
o Kicked off the first workstream to improve S2P policies.
· Governed a $2.5 million savings opportunity. (Nov 2009-present)
Partnered with EMS to identify Work Place Solutions outsourcing opportunities. Provided project governance and oversight to Cushman & Wakefield (C&W) and ICG Commerce to define the detailed C&W account re-commissioning plan, including outsourcing of Facilities Management to C&W.
· Protected a multi-million dollar outsourcing business case. (Aug 2009-Feb 2010)
Provided project management governance and oversight for three Finance business process transitions (Accounts Receivable/Credit & Collections, EMEA Contact Center, and Customer Data Hub) overseas to Infosys and Teleperformance.
o Collaborated with business partners, IT, Infosys, Teleperformance, and HP to define and manage the detailed transition project plan, issues, risks, and dependencies.
o Created contingency plans and a business impact analysis to mitigate major network connectivity challenges, resulting in project deliveries on schedule and within budget.
o Helped define and improve the Finance outsourcing methodology and project templates.
· Salvaged a troubled customer-facing project. (Oct 2008-July 2009)
Managed the Finance-led effort to improve ease of doing business with Symantec by delivering Enterprise customer non-technical self-help. Rescued a faltering project from another project manager that was months behind schedule in migrating from an internal to an external CRM tool and creating a searchable knowledge base. Through careful re-planning and timely communication, delivered the project and met all key stakeholder requirements in a timely manner.
· Fostered improvement in customer loyalty. (Oct 2007-Feb 2010)
Supported a global effort to improve Symantec's customer loyalty metric, Net Promoter Score (NPS). Managed a wide range of projects in the Ease of Doing Business initiative, which helped make it easier to do business with Symantec, a key dependency for improving the NPS.
· Strengthened the Quote-to-Cash process. (June 2007-Oct 2008)
Collaborated with the Business Process Improvement (BPI) team to program manage the Quote-to-Cash (Q2C) business process improvement initiative. Led a large cross-functional project team to identify and execute on improvement opportunities, as well as manage and resolve internal customer escalations, resulting in a more robust Q2C process.
· Improved policy compliance and ease of doing business. (Apr 2007-Apr 2008)
Partnered with the BPI team and over 10 business partners on a Symantec-wide effort to address issues with policy compliance, finding policies, verifying the latest policy version, and managing policy differences. Used a Six Sigma/DMAIC methodology as the project framework to create a web-based searchable repository for all Symantec policies, a policy creation process, and a policy template, resulting in improved policy compliance, version control, and ease of doing business.
· Grew a team of project managers and delivered back office training rated 4.07 out of 5.
Led the planning and delivery of back office training in support of the consolidation of the two Oracle instances at Symantec and VERITAS into a single Oracle instance.
o As part of the Enterprise PMO team, collaborated with over 10 Symantec and VERITAS business partners to develop and deliver end user training consisting of over 200 classes provided to over 4000 employees over two months, with an overall satisfaction rating of 4.07 out of 5.
o Recruited, coached, mentored, and managed a team of 7 contractors responsible for developing the training content and co-ordinating the training logistics.
· Proactively addressed merger-related escalations. (April 2005-August 2005) Teamed with KPMG and over 20 business stakeholders to create and staff three worldwide customer response centers to anticipate and address non-technical external customer escalations arising from the Symantec-VERITAS merger. Post-merger, only a handful of issues arose which were quickly addressed and closed out.
VERITAS Software, Senior Program Manager
February 2001 - July 2005, Mountain View, Caifornia
VERITAS SOFTWARE – Product Management 2001 – 2005
Senior Program Manager
Responsible for planning and delivering Enterprise high availability and virtualization solutions, in English and localized versions, on Windows and UNIX platforms.
· Secured a key customer reference. Successfully resolved a customer escalation through methodical root-cause analysis of the existing Cisco and VERITAS solutions, resulting in a key customer reference for the annual VERITAS end user conference.
· Led adoption of product release trains. Managed global cross-functional project teams responsible for delivering most of the products in VERITAS’ portfolio – File Server, Cluster Server, Volume Replicator, Storage Foundation, and Database Oracle for RAC. Led the Windows, AIX, and Linux release trains which formalized full integration testing and regular releases of the VERITAS product stack, which helped address key customer requests for predictable VERITAS solution availability.
· Refined the product release methodology. Made major updates to the VERITAS product release methodology, which provided a framework for both large and small projects to be released on time and under budget.
Cisco Systems, Senior Program Manager
August 1999 - August 2000, San Jose, California, United States
Cisco – Customer Advocacy. Laid the foundation for ISO 14001 certification. Senior program manager responsible for defining the initial project plan for Cisco’s company-wide ISO 14000 Environmental Management System (EMS) certification, which was a critical requirement for some key European customers.
· Awarded three $1500+ Cisco Achievement Program awards for support of Cisco’s ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 initiatives.
· Supported Cisco’s frugality value by identifying a low cost approach to ISO 14001 certification which leveraged the existing EMS and quality management system (QMS) infrastructure.
IBM, Staff Engineer
August 1989 - July 1999, San Jose, California, United States
IBM – Enterprise and Storage Systems Divisions. Saved over $1 million. Staff supplier quality and process engineer for IBM’s Enterprise and Storage divisions. Certified ISO 9000 QMS internal auditor.
· Achieved almost $1 million savings in less than one year through head gimbal assembly process yield improvements.
· Supported hard disk drive sub-assembly automation and transition offshore, resulting in significant cost savings for IBM.