LiveWorld, Scrum Master and Agile Coach
December 2011 - Present, San Jose, CA, United States
Certified Scrum Professional. Improved practice of scrum with two distributed development teams through maintaining or implementing improved engineering practices, increased attention to group processes. Consistently worked with product owner, customer-facing project managers, and executive sponsors to align product development, development, and delivery. Realized increased quality through reduced bugs being released to production, increased team member job satisfaction, positive evolution of team cultures, and realization of sustainable pace of development. In addition to team coaching through scrum ceremonies, coached individual team members, product owners, and other key stakeholders.
- Oversaw integration of QA engineers as full-time team members into scrum team.
- Bridged agile adoption out of the engineering into customer services business units.
- Influential in expanding agile implementation; number of scrum teams and dedicated scrum master roles quadrupled.
LiveWorld, Engineering Group Manager/Scrum Master
December 2010 - December 2011, San Jose, CA, United States
Certified Scrum Master. Led a new team to increment a pre-alpha proof-of-concept social networking application into production. Established technical best practices, conventions, and roadmap for implementation of scrum. Bridged the divergent roles of ScrumMaster and Team Lead through clear communication of responsibilities, and ongoing refinement of communication techniques and facilitating group process.
- Transformed a new group into a high-performing team through implementation and facilitation of scrum.
- Fostered collaboration between product owner, team, and management to define success criteria and remove impediments.
- Radically reduced technical debt by applying practices of technical excellence in a fresh code base.
LiveWorld, User Interface Engineer
September 2006 - December 2010, San Jose, CA, United States
Implemented customized UI of flagship Java/JSP Community Center product for clients including: Verizon, MiniUSA, American Express, eBay, Marriott, and Microsoft. Lead UI engineer on the next generation of Rails-based product.
- Trained and mentored additional team members.
- Assisted the strategic development of product roadmaps and resolution of complex UI problems.
June 2000 - June 2008, Appleton, Maine, United States
Responsible for managing all aspects of consultancy: business strategy and development, application development, project management, and customer support. Started in 1999 as a “one man shop,” CallahanPro grew to accommodate projects requiring multiple developers. Solutions included: calendars, security/access control applications, CMS, early social networking tools, shopping carts, and many websites.