Jon is currently Director of Software Engineering for CA Technologies. This is a Senior Development Manager role, which involves managing three teams totalling twenty-six people.
In this position, Jon acts for various teams as Scrum Master, Scrum Product Owner, Agile Mentor and Coach. He brings leadership, enthusiasm, technical, interpersonal and organisational skills to the projects and teams with which he works.
Jon has eighteen years of experience in the IT industry, having been a developer, senior developer, team-lead, development manager and senior development manager.
- Certified scrum master with four years experience in the role.
- Organises and facilitates release planning, sprint planning, daily stand-up and retrospective meetings.
- Works with the product owner to ensure that backlog is prioritised and stories are well described in advance of planning meetings and that the medium term roadmap is clear and up to date.
- Works with stakeholders and customers to ensure their feedback is fed into the backlog contents and prioritisation and that they are kept up to date with team progress.
- Acts as the bridge between the business (PO) and technical (team) sides of the process, ensuring that communication is effective between them.
- Works with the team to ensure the process is continuously improved using feedback from the retrospectives.
- Sets high standards for the team, removes roadblocks and encourages the team to deliver, develop and look to improve.
CA, Director, Software Engineering
June 2009 - Present, Prague, Czech Republic
· Acts as Scrum Master for two teams at CA.
· Works with cross-functional teams – architects, developers, quality engineers and technical writers.
· Sprints are monthly, with planning on the first working day, demo and retrospective on the last.
· The projects use RTC for code, backlog and issue management, having recently migrated from using Jira for backlog and issue management.
· The projects also use pair programming, test-driven development and continuous integration and test.
o TDD tests written in JUnit.
o Integration tests use Selenium and Java and are run from HP Quality Centre.
o Build scripts are written in ant and run from Team City.
· Developers use Eclipse as their IDE, QA use HP QC for storing and running tests.