Yahoo! Inc., Program Manager, Hadoop, Cloud Engineering
August 2012 - Present, Sunnyvale, CA, United States
Lead Yahoo! Hadoop project covering 50 developers and multiple product lines while undertaking Scrum (re) adoption. Master of Scrums for 7 teams, coaching scrum masters through developing their facilitation skills while leading release planning. Manage $6.2m capitalized labor for new development.
Yahoo! Inc., Program Manager, Cocktails, Mobile & Presentation Services
April 2011 - August 2012, Sunnyvale, CA, United States
• Led team of 40 developers across 4 scrum teams to build Y!’s new platform to build, test & host multi-screen apps.
• Managed $6M annual cap labor project building nodejs app dev platform providing a unified workflow (write-once, test inline, deploy to cloud) to create multi-screen user experiences that are mobile from their inception.
• Provided program oversight, coordination, care and feeding. Single point of contact for priority issues & information.
• Established review points, metrics, standards & estimation guides. Provided status reporting & issue escalation.
• Led velocity-based release planning to estimate & prioritize features, coordinate inter-dependencies & sanity check product roadmap. Provided customers with feature ETA, while ensuring timely bug fixing & support.
• Agile coaching in Scrum best practices with scrum masters & dev teams, especially around estimation & scoping.
• Led scrum of scums resulting in a stable development rhythm, regular releases & dependency mgmt.
• Engaged users to communicate releases, changes, outages. Supported Mojito team’s prep for Open Source.
• Other projects: EOL’ed 14 legacy systems to reduce tech-debt. Led IPv6 remediation for legacy Mobile Platform.
Mashery, Director, Product Management
August 2006 - January 2007, San Francisco, CA, United States
• Joined startup created around my idea to create a hosted platform to manage and monetize access to web services for client companies, facilitating use of data by 3rd party developers & providing a “developer-community-in-a-box”.
• Led scheduling & led teams of 3-14 to successfully hit aggressive launch targets. Adjusted feature set, functionality & dependencies to deliver basic service in 10 weeks including design, docs & testing.
• Scoped & managed schedule for ambitious engineering plan integrating Amazon's EC2 & S3 web services for virtualized processing & storage and deployment of a custom high performance proxy using lighthttpd.
• Expert in needs of web services providers, application developers and “mashup” end users.
• Oversaw implementation and usability testing of integrated community tools, reporting and user profiles.
• Specified functionality for access control system, tracking, key issuance, reporting and billing.
Yahoo! Inc., Program/Community Manager, Yahoo! Developer Network
June 2005 - August 2006, Sunnyvale, CA, United States
• Founding team member working to share Y! services & data with external developers via APIs & web services (REST, SOAP) to enable developers to integrate that data with their own applications.
• Championed product groups' efforts to support, extend & secure the services available to developers.
• Collaboratively designed system to flexibly track, limit & charge for usage with volunteer eng resources.
• Worked with product, bizdev & legal to implement policies and technologies to balance corporate interests (costs, strategy, competition) with needs of developer community (access to more & better).
• Focal point for all developers using web services in commercial & high volume applications, leading vetting for innovative value & competitive risk and providing direct customer support to keep them up.
• Evangelized internally to create a robust, open & secure platform and externally for developer adoption.
• Partnered with engineering to develop infrastructure to monitor usage, uptime & capacity planning.
• Engaged with developers, innovators & influencers. Tracked community growth, activity & “killer apps”.
NEC Corporation, US Technology Market Researcher
February 2004 - February 2005, Santa Clara, CA, United States
• Analyzed US technology markets to support new product development, Board-level planning & sales strategy.
• Researched varied topics within enterprise (e.g., grid computing, web services/SOA, Open Source licensing) & emerging technology (e.g., search, syndication, rich clients, mobility) for Tokyo headquarters.
• Synthesized US technology & business practice trends into guidance for developing products for the home market.
• Tapping external resources, systematically documented the players, products, market size and growth projections in the enterprise IT software stack to highlight opportunities, competition and partners.
• Selected technologies & companies to watch. Built network of innovators, early adopters & VCs for direct insight.
Protean Strategy, Independent Consultant
March 2003 - February 2004, Menlo Park, CA, United States
• Helped early-stage tech startups define products & select markets – drawing out assumptions, dependencies & conditionals for the technology and market. Structured lightweight business processes for focus & execution.
Nelson Capital Management, Marketing Specialist
January 2002 - March 2003, Palo Alto, CA, United States
• Shifted boutique investment firm's strategy to “wealth management” to grow client base & attract acquisition suitors. Successfully acquired by Wells Fargo in 2002.
Intermedia.net, Marketing Manager
October 2000 - April 2001, Palo Alto, CA, United States
• Recast positioning of application services provider (ASP) Microsoft Exchange services to emphasize productivity & cost benefits. Halved ad spending, shifting target market from IT managers to small-to-mid size business owners.
• Managed hyper-competitive shared Web hosting product, charting price erosion across the market. Surveyed customers to find low-cost differentiators, creatively bolstering features to maintain premium pricing.
• Led development & launch of dedicated hosting to target high end customers, improving margins & retention.
Xerox, Market Research Mgr/Mktng Analyst, Financial Services Global Solutions
April 1996 - October 2000, Rochester, NY, United States
• Generalized custom financial services document solutions (printers, software & services) into modular product line for replicable sales. Adapted printer development model to include systems integration, partnerships & services.
• Led worldwide programs to drive sales including sales support, training, events & intranet portal.
• Built powerful visual sales kits to win attention from sales force & product teams. Provided targeted regional prospect lists with data on revenue, penetration and competitive opportunities.
• Helped craft corporate reorg proposal that resulted in creation of profitable new business unit.